BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had the Lt serviced at the beginning of December, then parked it up till the spring the weather improved. Went to check it today and the battery was totally flat , would not even show the warning lights.
So I was wondering if there will be any problems that may occur when I come to start it?
Cheers Hovis

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,178 Posts
You should at the very least fully charge the battery, or it will be dead in the Spring.
Also be sure to have the key in the "Lock" position so your accessories won't drain the battery.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Make it easy on yourself. Buy a battery tender. Keep it plugged into the tender during the off season. You will never have the problem again. Deltran claims it will increase the life of the battery 3x normal. I have used them for years. Best accessory I have ever bought.

If you are using the BMW Gel Battery, you need to get the one from BMW .. You can find it online or at your local bmw dealer. It is around 70.00 I believe.

·
Registered
4,245 Posts
The BMW battery tender will not charge a fully dischared battery. You'll need an old fashon dumb battery charger to get it at least partially charged over 3 volts. You should be able to get it charged then keep it on the "tender" and chances are the battery will be ok. As mentioned above be sure you get a gel tender if you have the gel battery.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Hi guys

been new in LT, short question,, (I havent even seen my bike yet) i need to change my battery, do i need special tools? :confused:

·
Registered
4,245 Posts
K1200LT-TH said:
Hi guys

been new in LT, short question,, (I havent even seen my bike yet) i need to change my battery, do i need special tools? :confused:
No worries, the battery is easy to get to under the seat.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,545 Posts
K1200LT-TH said:
Hi guys

Marco,

Biggest mistake is leaving one or more wires off when you hook up the new battery. Diconnect the negative leads first and wrap a rubber band around them. Then do the same with the positive leads. Replace the battery and then hook up in reverse, positive first then negative.

I have been to Pattaya (70's, 80's and 90's) and Phuket (90's) but they are far from Ubon.

·
Registered
150 Posts
jzeiler said:
Marco,

Biggest mistake is leaving one or more wires off when you hook up the new battery. Diconnect the negative leads first and wrap a rubber band around them. Then do the same with the positive leads. Replace the battery and then hook up in reverse, positive first then negative.

I have been to Pattaya (70's, 80's and 90's) and Phuket (90's) but they are far from Ubon.
jzeiler

Cheers mate,,,

will do so,, i'm counting the days to go home and start touring,,,

yes Pattaya is far, phuket is even futher,,,
Ubon is country side,quiet and well quiet :p

1 - 8 of 8 Posts