BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a Flash 2 Pass on my Cruiser and now want to put one on my K1200LT.

anyone see a reason not to?

If you are not famiular with the flash2pass it triggers the garage door by flashing the hibeams. You connect to the high beam positive wire.

Thanks in advance.

Paul

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
No reason not to. Sure beats a remote control. Might not work unless you have quartz lamps in the high beam circuit or in driving lamps.

Loren

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,171 Posts
You can also just wire up a switch to feed it 12V. It does not have to be wired to the lights, but there is already a nice switch there so might as well use it.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Let me be the first to say "I is a moron"! I looked up the product and I'm gonna get me one of these things!

wa1200lt said:
No reason not to. Sure beats a remote control. Might not work unless you have quartz lamps in the high beam circuit or in driving lamps.

Loren

·
Registered
313 Posts
Sounds vaguely like an Autoswitch. I have the Motolites on the RT hooked up to one and I hear the garage door opener can be hooked up as well.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have had one on my 2009 K1200LT since it was new. Works great. I even put one on my sports car! No more garage door opener to fiddle with.

Theoldroaddog

·
Registered
360 Posts
Hmmm. I put my garage door opener on the side of the stingray with industrial velcro and find that I can get in any of my bays with the press of a button. Not too high tech but very useful when SO or one of the kids pulls into the wrong bay and I need to use an alternate.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I added one to the Goldwing and will soon add one to my GTO. It works great with one caveat. When I originally mounted the transmitter, it was too close to some electronics and had almost no range. I moved it further out in the fairing and all is well. As a bonus, I left the original opener in place in the garage and mounted the Flash to Pass one near the door. It adds some convenience.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
buffgunner said:
As a bonus, I left the original opener in place in the garage and mounted the Flash to Pass one near the door. It adds some convenience.
I did the same thing. The Flash 2 Pass reciever is near the entrance to the garage from the drive way so I have a button I can push on the way out of the garage.

·
Registered
2 Posts
May I get help please?

I would like to buy a Flash to Pass Garage Door Opener as a birthday gift for my guy with a 2009 R 1200 RT.

I have been unable to sneak off any of his catalogs... Any suggestions on where to buy the F2P from?

Thanks, Stacy
(North Texas)

·
Registered
270 Posts
I have installed a couple of the flash to pass door and gate openers, after I read the directions and understood how they worked I realized how simple they were and now recommend them to everyone.

When you click on your bright lights the initial burst of power charges a capacitor, then you turn off the bright light and turn it back on. This burst of power tells the capacitor to release its stored charge and it sends a signal to the reciever which opens the door or gate. I had originally thought it would be on all the time when the bright lights were on but after understanding it again (BY READING THE DIRECTIONS) I think it is a really neat product. (I do not sell it just use it) Kieth

ps do a google search you will find out where to buy the procuct online. Kieth

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Premium Member
7,814 Posts
Does it work with garage door openers that have a "rolling code receiver" (probably the wrong term, but you know what I mean)? These openers use a different frequency each time if I understand it correctly.

If your garage door is more typical, how does the F2P know what frequency to use - do you train it, like you do any new opener button thingy?

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
hschisler said:
Does it work with garage door openers that have a "rolling code receiver" (probably the wrong term, but you know what I mean)? These openers use a different frequency each time if I understand it correctly.

If your garage door is more typical, how does the F2P know what frequency to use - do you train it, like you do any new opener button thingy?

Here is how it works for me, I put the reciever on the garage wall. I ran a wire from the reciever to the opener. you can also replace the current "button" you use to open your garage door but now I have two buttons. One near the back door into the house and one next to the garage door inside the door to the side.

The sender is installed on the bike and runs off the high beams.

Paul

·
Registered
270 Posts
This unit has its own reciever that you hook to the 2 posts on your garage door opener, so it does not have to worry about rolling code, only its own code (frequency)...

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,171 Posts
If you already have a good garage door opener with a transmitter and receiver that works, why would you want to buy another transmitter and receiver to hook up to the same garage door opener? It just doesn't make sense.

But then I mounted my transmitter under the handle bar covers on the LT and wired a simple switch to it. Been working fine for 6 years. And the one on the GS is in the tank bag with a little push button switch wired up and mounted on the side of the bag.

·
Registered
26 Posts
jzeiler said:
If you already have a good garage door opener with a transmitter and receiver that works, why would you want to buy another transmitter and receiver to hook up to the same garage door opener? It just doesn't make sense.

But then I mounted my transmitter under the handle bar covers on the LT and wired a simple switch to it. Been working fine for 6 years. And the one on the GS is in the tank bag with a little push button switch wired up and mounted on the side of the bag.
I did this same type of thing with my BMW M3. I put the garage door opener under the hood (way forward of the wheel well) and then ran some wire back through the fire wall to a "push" switch I mounted in front of the stick shift on the center column. Have had it there for many years; all that needs to be done is change the garage door opener battery when needed. So, I made maximum use of what I already had.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Why add another switch? Just use one of the switches already on the bike from the factory. Each time you used the switch you would bump the opener which would run the battery down faster but who cares? Batteries are cheap!

Thanks for the idea!

Loren

Beamer007 said:
I did this same type of thing with my BMW M3. I put the garage door opener under the hood (way forward of the wheel well) and then ran some wire back through the fire wall to a "push" switch I mounted in front of the stick shift on the center column. Have had it there for many years; all that needs to be done is change the garage door opener battery when needed. So, I made maximum use of what I already had.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts