BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My newly acquired 2006 LT will reach 24,000 miles in the coming weeks and I intend on performing the 24,000 mile service myself. While I have some experience tearing apart a Goldwing, I have never done it before on the BMW.

Would anyone be interested in a tech session in Brooksville, FL?

I supply the beer and you supply the heckling!

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Would be willing to help out when time permits.

Paul

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
Did he just say: FREE BEER,
can I bring a couple dozen of my "closest" Harley buddies?

I'm just kidding (I don't drink) coffee is "my drug"
if it's on a day I have available, I would like to attend,
I might be able to give you a little advice and a whole lot of smart assed comments!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Paul, Hans,

I think I'm going to enjoy this LT community very much!!!!

Lets shoot for Late April/Early May. Are Saturdays or Sundays best?

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Sundays are normally better.

Last Sunday of the month is normally the BMW ride in Melbourne and I normally try to make that.

Any other Sunday besides May 5th (Russian Easter)
or
Sun, Apr 28 Rush Concert

Paul

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
Been awhile since we did a Florida Tech Session, would be nice to get together. Brooksville is a pretty good run from NE Florida but if I'm not otherwise preoccupied I'll try to make it. Actually Saturdays work better for me as I usually ride on Sundays with one of two local groups. I'm with Hans so far as no beer for me and I'm certainly full of advise which I gladly share freely. Of course it's up to you to decide if it's good or bad!:)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looks like we might be able to get a good group together if we can figure out a day acceptable to all.

Items I would like to perform for my 24K service:

Valve adjustment check
Brake fluid flush(control and wheels circuits)
Clutch fluid flush
Oil change
Transmission lube
Diff Lube
Air filter
Spark plugs
Coolant flush
Fuel filter

Obviously we wont be able to perform all this in one day but the items in bold are the ones I want to accomplish first. Does anyone have experience in these two items?

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
Valve check is a piece of cake. As you know actually making an adjustment, should it be necessary, would require acquiring appropriate shims and is a little more involved. Bleeding the brakes is not difficult but is somewhat tedious. The procedure is well documented on our web site as well as on the IBMWR site. Print out the instructions and study them. You will need the special funnel described in the instructions. Assuming I can attend the session I can provide one but you may want to build or purchase one for yourself if your going to keep the bike for awhile. Most of the other service that you want to perform is pretty straight forward. Some of it does require removing siginificant tubberware as well as the fuel tank.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
It has been a while since the Florida group has gotten together and I'll be there if I'm in town. I remember a few things about the LT, and it's always great to see a few internet friends..

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
DanDiver said:
It has been a while since the Florida group has gotten together and I'll be there if I'm in town. I remember a few things about the LT, and it's always great to see a few internet friends..

Dano, this is Craig your future BMW buddy :D Should you come over, do we all get to Flog the 1600? :dance:

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Depends on what you mean by flog, but I think, I'm already looking forward to it. I'm gone a lot during April, but if it's in May, so far the calendar is pretty clean.

Bet there will be a few K1600's there....

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
In preparation to the Tech day(day yet to be determined), I intend on studying, studying and studying some more. I also intend on having all the materials purchased in advance(short of shims).

Questions:

Will I need a new cam-cover gasket?
What sealant do most use? Is an RTV type product good?
I assume I want to purchase the brake funnel tool from Beemerboneyard. Besides this and a quart of DOT4 is there anything else I need for the brake fluid flush?
What coolant is recommended? Any Silicate free for aluminum OK?
Can I use any SF, SG,SH synthetic 15w-50 or 20w-50?
Can I use any Synthetic GL-5 90W gear oil for both transmission and rear diff?

I'm thinking about going with the Maintenance kit from Beemerboneyard which includes an oil filter, air cleaner, spark plugs, Fuel filter, crush washers, O-ring for filter door, fuel line hose clamps, fuel quick-connect o-rings, final drive crush ring and filler cap o-ring. Not bad for $90.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I used the Beemerboneyard kit when I did mine. Very satisfied.

Do not dare make suggestions about oil. I used Motul for engine, transmission, & final drive. Gaffer DOT4 brake fluid.

I'm not sure what my schedule looks like- I may be in NC for a machine insta
Latino, but I will try to make it.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Others will have to reply on the brake flush as I remember when I was helped ( Dave did it and I watched!) there were a few special open end wrenches that made it a lot easier to open and close several parts on the ABS controller while bleeding. Not having the correct tools could make that project a lot harder than necessary. I remember it being a tight fit.

The rest of your items require standard tools. Lots of old newspapers, rags and cat litter is also helpful on the fluid drains. large recycle jug for disposal...

Oh, and don't forget a quarter for the brake and clutch fluid handlebar compartments.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
DanDiver said:
Oh, and don't forget a quarter for the brake and clutch fluid handlebar compartments.
I'm obviously a rookie.....Do tell!

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,459 Posts
Craigmri said:
Questions:

On the gasket, you won't know for sure until you've pulled the old one off and inspected it - however, unless it's been thru 3 or 4 removals, they're usually re-usable if you'll carefully clean out the joints and half-moon areas where RTV was used. I use Permatex RTV gasket squeezings - the hi-temp version, for RTV replacement.
Craigmri said:
If you have a BMW cage dealer nearby, pick up a unit of their coolant. Less dinero than scoot dealer.
Craigmri said:
Ed Zachery what I use - normally use Amsoil brand, butt occasionally, Royal Purple.
Craigmri said:
I'm thinking about going with the Maintenance kit from Beemerboneyard which includes an oil filter, air cleaner, spark plugs, Fuel filter, crush washers, O-ring for filter door, fuel line hose clamps, fuel quick-connect o-rings, final drive crush ring and filler cap o-ring. Not bad for $90.
Perfect. And next time you're in Wal-Mart, visit the pet aisle and pick up a package of puppy training pads, usually 24 count. Folded out flat, they absorb drippage; don't soak thru; keep the area under your scoot clean; and fold up for the trash bin when you're all thru wrenching. Good luck, have fun and keep the background music on good genres!!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Dick,

Thanks for all the answers! Cant wait to start bonding with the LT!

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,602 Posts
Questions:

No they are rubber & reusable

High Heat RTV is good

I assume I want to purchase the brake funnel tool from Beemerboneyard.
Yes
Besides this and a quart of DOT4 is there anything else I need for the brake fluid flush?
DOT 4 is right, if I remember right NO other special tools are required

Yes

Any Automotive Oil will work. I used 20W50 Castrol or 15W50 Mobil1 in my LT. NO NEED for motorcycle oil as you do not need the additives for a wet clutch.

Yes both FD & Trans use the same gear oil

I'm thinking about going with the Maintenance kit from Beemerboneyard which includes an oil filter, air cleaner, spark plugs, Fuel filter, crush washers, O-ring for filter door, fuel line hose clamps, fuel quick-connect o-rings, final drive crush ring and filler cap o-ring. Not bad for $90

Yes that is the best deal, also before you order this check your Quick Disconnects on the bike. If they are still the OEM white plastic ones order the metal ones from BBY. The OEM ones get brittle & can brake when pulled apart.

BTW all this work can be done in 1 day, but doing it in a weekend is easier to manage.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Check out the QDs from Racer Parts Wholesale. I like them better, as do a good number of folks.

I am sure the BB ones are fine, but the RPW.com ones seem to be a bit slimmer, IIRC. I also prefer the method they use to (dis)engage over the OEM style.

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,602 Posts
Leave it to Dick to beat me to the punch again :histerica
I'll still leave up my answers too. :wave

1 - 20 of 30 Posts