BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I got the Roady 2 as a bunch of you suggested.

XM is NOT compatible with mountains and tree covered roads.
Solution: from now on I will only ride my Beemer on four lanes and interstates... :histerica
Other than that, it is nice to listen to music and news from professional broadcasters.

These local mom and pop mountain stations are crap.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Sorry to hear you are having problems with reception, where do you have your antenna mounted

·
Premium Member
1,561 Posts
Here in Oregon we have the same problem.................
In the mountains and woods, I lose reception often..............
So, I carry CD's and play those until I'm in a clear spot........................
.....and in the worse case, turn them all off and listen to that beautiful hum....

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
While out on the westcoast, David Taylor gave me a tour of San Francisco one day via his cage. (It was the only day of a 21-day trip that I didn't ride, so the break was nice.) Anywho...he had his XM rockin' and we really enjoyed it. I was fairly convinced that I would be getting XM once I returned home.

Well, as soon as I got home, my little sister came to visit me and she picked me up in a rental car w/ XM installed. We headed to our niece's house in the hills of West Virginia. The reception SUCKED! We were both glad that I brought my iPod. That experience talked me right back OUT of XM.

I cannot tolerate "loss in reception" issues. I don't understand why the receivers don't have a built-in buffer that stores enough music to compensate for this problem. Much like the older CD Walkmans had for eliminating skips.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have to agree...
A cached storage would make the XM much more compatible.

I rent a car somewhere every week.
I get the Garmin Where2 from Budget. I have found that if you speed down covered roads and you wait for the the lady in the box to tell you when to turn, that you will miss your turn.
I guess the GPS can not compensate without the sat. signal.

·
Registered
590 Posts
I have found that to be the case in WNC. The better the road, the worse the satellite reception. Moving my antenna around hasn't helped. Oh, well, when I can't get XM reception I either shut off the audio or listen to MP3s.

I have found a couple of stretches in the lower part of the state (and one in Eastern NC) where the reception cuts out, even though the terrain is flat and no trees in reach. Blind spot on the satellite? Black helicopters? Who knows.

·
Registered
5,857 Posts
Not just XM - I have sirus and it has the same problems riding in the foothills and mountains of Kalifornia.
But a lot of the new units do have a built-in buffer to deal with such problems. Then again I just switch to the MP3 player.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts