BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to all. As usual, I spent much time and effort trying to find answers from various places before resorting to starting a new thread on the forum. Following all the various instructions I was able to find, determined that 3 of the intake valves are too tight, with readings of .14mm, .11mm, and .13mm. All the exhaust valves were between .25mm and .28 mm. Therefore, I need to remove the intake cam in order to measure and determine the new buckets . Here is the problem. I am unable to move the cam chain tensioner for the placement of the 1/8 drill bit to release the pressure on the chain. The bike has been sitting for a couple of weeks and I have turned the engine but the tensioner only moves about 1/32 of and inch. So, how much pressure does it take to move the tensioner, I'm afraid if I use anymore pressure something is going to break. Any help or ideas are greatly appreciated. I think this might be a case of senioritis.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
the tensioner is spring loaded and on my 2K it took a bit of pressure to pry it down, subjective of course, if it does not move smoothly suggest pull apart, someone earlier this year had one that was partially seized and might comment

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply, had senior brain flatulence! Tried pushing the drill bit in place while prying on the tensioner, lo and behold, the bit slipped in. Evidently the tensioner does not move as much as I thought it would. It moved enough to take the pressure off the sprockets and I was able to remove them. It looks like I will need two buckets, a 2.85 and a 2.90, I was able to switch one of the buckets over. Thanks again.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If anyone out there has a couple of cam followers, I would be willing to swap or purchase. Nearest dealer is over 300 miles away and I hate to pay 21.00. I have a couple of 2.95's need a 2.90 and a 2.85. Any help is appreciated.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,412 Posts
I have a 2.90 but no 2.85. Maybe some one will chime in with a 2.85 and you'll be set!

PM me your address.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Ive got you covered on the 2.85. Pm your address and its on the way.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts