BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is getting difficult to start the bike. It doesn't run after firing the first time and needs a second start. It then misfires for a brief period before running correctly. There is a smell of fuel (unburnt from the exhaust?). This happened before I filled up yesterday and again this morning with a full tank. One point I noticed when filling is that it took until this morning for the fuel gauge to display the full tank. Once running it behaves perfectly.

·
Premium Member
7,526 Posts
It is getting difficult to start the bike. It doesn't run after firing the first time and needs a second start. It then misfires for a brief period before running correctly. There is a smell of fuel (unburnt from the exhaust?). This happened before I filled up yesterday and again this morning with a full tank. One point I noticed when filling is that it took until this morning for the fuel gauge to display the full tank. Once running it behaves perfectly.
Could be any one of a number of things. How many miles on the bike? Any recent work on it? Need a little more background.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Could be any one of a number of things. How many miles on the bike? Any recent work on it? Need a little more background.
45K miles, no recent work. It did this just once before Christmas and then it was fine. I will have to undress her and see what might be going on.

If it were fuel hoses it would stink all the time and I would expect damp patches on the ground but there is none of that.

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
Keep in mind that there are rubber fuel hoses inside the fuel tank that could be split and providing less than optimal fuel pressure but enough to still run and you would see nothing on the ground. The only way to test that is with an inline fuel pressure gauge to ascertain pump and line status or to visually inspect the lines for cracking and leaks. Another thing that could be causing an issue starting and running is the engine temp sensor on the back side of the left head. A GS911 would be able to see the values or you can measure the resistance and make a guess on whether it is in range for the temp it should be seeing ( cold ). It is the bottom of the four connectors on the left side under the small panel above the foot rest. Make sure that is properly seated.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,781 Posts
Since you don't have the charcoal canister, a clogged one is not your issue. If the temp sensor has failed then it would think it is hot all the time and the fans would run so I rule that one out. How has the fuel mileage been lately, notice a reduction?

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the responses. As is sod's law, it behaved perfectly this evening. In the near future I have to take her clothes off again so will have a good probe about then, unless it happens again.

·
Premium Member
607 Posts
You've done the simple stuff like disconnecting the battery to lose memory settings to get back to a blank slate? Tried any fuel system cleaner like Techron? My '02 started better in the cold with regular fuel instead of premium.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You've done the simple stuff like disconnecting the battery to lose memory settings to get back to a blank slate? Tried any fuel system cleaner like Techron? My '02 started better in the cold with regular fuel instead of premium.
Yes it has recently had a full reset when I replaced the battery with a new Odyssey. Fuel is 95 RON and the same pumps that I always go to.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts