BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
wireing is done hitch installed. any advise for first ride with trailer behind the bike :wave

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,118 Posts
First gear is pretty tall and you will notice this with the trailer. Make your starts very gentle on the clutch but once she is rolling go for it. Be careful in the turns as if you come in too hot and hit the brakes the trailer will push your rear end around. Found this out trying to keep up with sport bikes on US 1 in Calfornia, don't know what I was thinking but I almost forgot I had the trailer behind me.

Stopping distances can be increased also with the added weight. Just don't get behind the power curve in traffic and have to come to a quick stop - leave some distance.

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
Don't forget that you have gone from a single-track vehicle to a three-track vehicle.

For example, you may steer the bike between potholes/sewer covers/etc., but your trailer wheels may go over them, giving you a bit a surprise jolt if you are not thinking about the other two wheel paths.

Also (same issue), pay a bit more attention to lane placement -- if you are prone to riding the line, or for many, riding close to the line by the shoulder in a tight right turn, you can drop a wheel off the edge of the pavement of drag it along the side of a curb. No need to swing way wide in a turn, just watch your mirrors through your first few turns to make sure you know where the wheel is when you are x feet off the line.

·
Premium Member
693 Posts
I pulled a trailer around the Cabot Trail, Cape Breton Island, a couple of years ago. Biggest thing I noticed right away was the trailer pushing the bike on stops, once I got used to it and started slowing a bit earlier, I never thought about it again. Backing up wasn't a problem with the reverse on the LT, my brother-in-law on his old Gold Wing was envious. Even on the winding, twisty, Cabot Trail I really didn't notice the trailer, other than, as someone already posted, trying to avoid potholes, debris in the road, etc., isn't quite as easy. But having a cooler of cool drinks and a bunch of sandwiches in the cooler was great. Also, with variable weather conditions, being able to just throw the heavy coat in the tralier and grab something lighter was awesome. On a trip, especially with the wife on board, I wouldn't try to do it without a trailer. Now I have to get that same trailer connected to the RT.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
When fueling (on the side-stand in 1st gear), be careful if on a downward plane, the extra weight of the trailer will push the bike forward while you're fillin' her if the wife opens the trunk or pushes forward for any reason!
Additionally, always be cognizant and aware that you are pulling the trailer, it is easy to forget!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts