BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 LT with the Ducati front lights. My low beam is burned out and needs to be replaced. Where do I start and what all will need to be removed or loosened?

Thanks

·
Registered
64 Posts
Imo you can reach it from the bottom up without removing the fairing. This way I replaced the low beam on my '99.

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
The standard headlight with a little effort was changeable without removing anything but the back cover on the headlight and you could reach that from underneath. Far too few of us have the Ducati Designs headlight since they stopped making it. so few of us will know what is required.

I use a bench and lay on my back looking up into the headlight back end from underneath to access mine (01 LT ). If you can't see what to do then some disassembly may be required. Not sure if you can access it from above by removing the wind screen and then the cover below that never having seen the installation of that fixture. If you can't see what to do from underneath, I would pull the wind screen and the cover below that keeping in mind that at least on my 01, there is a screw behind the map light besides the visible screws.

Maybe someone who has that fixture will add some information on if it is accessible from the bottom without taking anything apart.

Reactions: NGABMWLT

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,551 Posts
Here are a few shots with the lights off the bike looks pretty easy to get to. Just unplug and the twist the lamp out.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Here are a few shots with the lights off the bike looks pretty easy to get to. Just unplug and the twist the lamp out.
I still wouldn't mind having one. :)

Reactions: kbob12

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
I presume I will need to remove both side firings?
Nope. I hung my camera right above the front fender looking up and I have direct access to the back of the standard headlight. I would expect you should see what jzeiler posted if you look up under the cowling in place of x marks the spot.

Attachments

·
Registered
180 Posts
At least it doesn't have those little time hardened little plastic tabs to pop off when you remove the spring holding the bulb like on a factory head light. I honestly have those tension springs tie wrapped on mine. I will eventually one day have to replace the whole assembly.

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My low beam is burned out. The bulb is an H9, best I can tell, what is the correct build to get. (5000K pure white?)

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,551 Posts
That is up to you. I find 4300K is pleasing with an HID bulb and not too blue. Not sure what is available on incandescent bulbs in the H9 flavor.

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That is up to you. I find 4300K is pleasing with an HID bulb and not too blue. Not sure what is available on incandescent bulbs in the H9 flavor.
Thank you so much for the help. One last question, what bulb brightness do you use for the high beam?

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,551 Posts
On that assembly they are both the same bulb, it is the aiming that makes it High Beam.

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you so much for the help. One last question, what bulb brightness do you use for the high beam?
Who do you order your bulbs from? I presume these are the type of bulbs we can't touch or they won't work? I really do appreciate all your help!

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,551 Posts
You can get an H9 bulb at your local auto parts store. Nothing special about them. These are focused lights but they use conventional incandescent bulbs. They are NOT HID.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,551 Posts
That is an HID after all - not stock for the Ducati Design light assy. Some one converted to HID. I also commented on your new post Sorry about the confusion as my pictures were of the stock head light unit.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts