BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning Fellas..

Maintenance question: When changing the engine oil, does the engine and transmission share the same oil? Share from the same reservoir? Or are they seperate?

Thanks, Mrdon

·
Registered
322 Posts
No, they do not share oil. Engine uses regular motor oil. transmission uses gear lube.The bike also has a dry clutch.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
rcoolbaugh said:
No, they do not share oil. Engine uses regular motor oil. transmission uses gear lube.The bike also has a dry clutch.
Thanks rcoolbaugh !!

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
You also have separate oil in the final drive. 3 areas to change in addition to flushing brake fluid every year. And don't forget about the engine coolant.

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,459 Posts
Mrdon03LT said:
Good morning Fellas..

Maintenance question: When changing the engine oil, does the engine and transmission share the same oil? Share from the same reservoir? Or are they seperate?

Thanks, Mrdon
Morning - just on the chance you're doing your own fluid changes, check out this article - it's a good one to use for your first couple of fluid changes on the LT. It's for a 2005 model, I believe, but the procedure is mostly common to all model year LTs. Good luck and have fun. ;)

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,556 Posts
...and yes the oil filter is INSIDE the oil sump. When you open the cover to get to the filter the oil will all fall out.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Dick said:
Morning - just on the chance you're doing your own fluid changes, check out this article - it's a good one to use for your first couple of fluid changes on the LT. It's for a 2005 model, I believe, but the procedure is mostly common to all model year LTs. Good luck and have fun. ;)
Not a hijack but I saw Autozone all over your neck of the woods which reminded me of the oil filter wrench on your advice. Still did not pick up one was too busy taking in the sites. Plus did not have the filter with me.
ride safe :bmw:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts