BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I need to run a audio cord from the tank compartment to where my GPS is mounted on the panel with radio controls. Is there a way to remove the radio control button panel without taking half the bike apart?

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,247 Posts
No. The screws are in the bottom so you need to remove both sides then the top "stingray". But you could remove just one side and see up into the radio box area just above the fuel tank and drill a small hole there to run the cord out and feed it up to the GPS that way.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
OK, What I was able to do is inside the tank compartment, I drilled a hole to the side that permitted me to fish my audio cable up under the stingray and up to where to other GPS wires go. Success! Now I just need to pair my bluetooth dongle.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,247 Posts
Hope you drilled horizontal and not verticle as the fuel tank is right under the radio.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
jzeiler said:
Hope you drilled horizontal and not verticle as the fuel tank is right under the radio.

Yes, I drilled horizontal in direction of gas cap. Drilled through single plastic layer to feed audio wire to my Zumo 450. Now I have my bluetooth dongle in the dry Tank compartment. :rotf:

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,247 Posts
You would be surprised we had a major defense contractor do some mods to HMMWVs and they drilled some holes in the bed - right into the fuel tank!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
jzeiler said:
You would be surprised we had a major defense contractor do some mods to HMMWVs and they drilled some holes in the bed - right into the fuel tank!

John, forgive me I'm new around here....Are you the guy who did the videos on how to service the clutch slave cylinder?

:bowdown:

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,247 Posts
Craigmri said:
John, forgive me I'm new around here....Are you the guy who did the videos on how to service the clutch slave cylinder?

:bowdown:
No problem and yes that is me doing most of the talking. I was doing a demo for the guys up at Ironhorse Lodge for Spring Training Camp in the Smokies and Dan S. was filming (his first ever video). We had fun and that is the ultimate goal. Ridin' or wrenchin' gotta love it.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
jzeiler said:
No problem and yes that is me doing most of the talking. I was doing a demo for the guys up at Ironhorse Lodge for Spring Training Camp in the Smokies and Dan S. was filming (his first ever video). We had fun and that is the ultimate goal. Ridin' or wrenchin' gotta love it.

I'll be honest, I had ZERO intention of buying an LT until I watched those videos. When I discovered that there are knowledgeable generous people in this community I decided to give one a try. I hope I never need to perform that service but if I do I have the infomation available.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,247 Posts
hstrattus50 said:
john,
give me a link so i can watch your video
thanks
Har
It is in three files that can be down loaded from this site. Just go to the top of the page and look for the "stickey" Weep Hole Drilling Video.

Did you get your brakes working yet?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts