BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Premium Member
2022 BMW R1250RT
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings, everyone.

I picked up a new Triple Black R1250RT on the 1st of June - and then promptly tested positive for COVID!

Yesterday was the first opportunity to head out for a ride on it - and here are a few random thoughts:

The Route
I plotted out a 320 km route on My Route App - which gave me a good mix of freeway, back roads and some twisty bits.

First impressions
My previous bike was a 2015 R1200RT - which I rode for over 145,000 km over 7 years.

The engine is an absolute delight. I found the extra torque of the 1250 engine was rather noticeable down low - and also resulted in me travelling very quickly - especially when overtaking. The revised Pro Shift was also smoother to shift than the 2015 model.
The suspension took a bit of getting used to - since I had replaced the original suspension on the 2015 RT with a set of Wilbers shocks. Whilst not as firm as the Wilbers set up, and therefore not quite as responsive into the "turn in", I found that the 2022 suspension - especially in Dynamic mode - to be more comfortable and certainly capable of handling everything I could throw at it! :cool:

Despite the weather being cold and wet - the ride was certainly confidence inspiring - and at one stage, I was chasing someone in a BMW 323 car - who was travelling along at a nice pace through the hills - and it was no problem to overtake them - uphill in 6th gear - at the same time, I was being kept warm and dry by the excellent fairing and heated grips.

As mentioned before, I plotted out the route on the MyRoute app platform - and exported the route in the HD Boom Box format, which gave me the options of loading up a track or the waypoints that I had plotted. I used the waypoints in the BMW Connected App and am pleased to advise that it worked reliably - no drop outs (despite an incoming phone call) and the media player worked very well, indeed.

All in all, I am very pleased with the upgrade - a more searching test will be conducted in a couple of weeks time, when I take off on a 4 day ride of over 2,000km.
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Fuel tank Vehicle

Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Fuel tank Vehicle

Land vehicle Building Vehicle Motor vehicle Water

Registered
2015 RT-P
Nice feedback on the 1250. Could you pick three things which are a vast improvement over the 1200cc - making a definite case for upgrading? (Except LUST, which we all seen to enjoy) ;)

Premium Member
2022 BMW R1250RT
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nice feedback on the 1250. Could you pick three things which are a vast improvement over the 1200cc - making a definite case for upgrading? (Except LUST, which we all seen to enjoy) ;)
G'day, Thylo.

Good question - and please remember that I can only give my opinion, so it is neither right nor wrong! I put over 145,000km on my 2015 RT - so my comparisons are somewhat valid.

1. I find that the 1250 engine is a big improvement over the 1200 model. Not only is it smoother, but the extra torque is both addictive (as in probably being a bit too enthusiastic at times :devilish:) - and welcome. The extra 11 horsepower are not as noticeable to me - but they are nice to have!
  2. The Pro transmission (clutchless shifting) is superior to the 2015 model - it is a lot smoother.
  3. The features like the TFT, the integrated mapping and media, the DAB radio and the Adaptive Cruise Control.
There are more reasons, I guess - but these three are the main ones.

:)

Premium Member
Try lowering the shield all the way down, while at highway speed! I could never tolerate the turbulence, and hence wind noise when I did that on the 1200s. On the '21+ generation RT, BMW had done an excellent job using the wind-tunnel to redesign the front end of the bike so that there is virtually no turbulence coming up from the front of the bike. With my '21 RT, I use the short sport shield full time in the summer, even on long trips.

Reactions: Nil_Time

Registered
2015 RT-P
G'day, Thylo.
Good question ...
:)
thanks Nil_Time, good & quick answers. Just last December I've stepped up from a 2009 GS via Sertao 650 to a new (to me) 2015 ex-cop RT. Been on my want-to-try list for a long time, this one came up at a super low price - I pounced and grabbed it. Love her!! I find myself amazed at how her visual bulk completely disappears when riding, plus how she's less imposing than the GS (which I took down trails not really designed for, oops).
I've made & installed parts to convert her to enable my significant Ducatista pillion to ride with me when she wants a break from riding her own bike.
Your positive feedback makes it near impossible for me to be content with what I've got, fanning my lust for the 1250. Alas, think me .... I'll cunningly wait until the hardcore BMW-fanboys feel the need to trade up to the 1300RT which is undoubtedly better and available within 18 months or so ... hehe thanks again

Registered
The black bike is stunning in appearance. I hope the black or a dark color is offered for '23 when I place my order in the Fall. I am coming back to an RT, my 3rd RT and actually this will be my last bike purchase. Based on all of the reviews, the current generation RT seems to be best of breed - well, at least until the 1300RT is out. :cool:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts