BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have had my LT since late January and finally got out on it today with the Mrs for a longish ride two up, the first real ride two up since getting it. Ride went great, bike handled like a dream with no issues what so ever and did not really even seem to notice there was a second person on the back. Much better than my GS. And the Mrs had no complaints either. Her hip usually bothers her after a time, but not with the LT, she was good to go. Still does not know if she wants to do some of my long trips with me of 10 hour days, but will work her up to those if I can.

As for the music, love the radio on the bike and not having to fiddle fart around with an ipod and helmet speakers etc. But of course as you leave the metro area, radio stations fade away. Read a post here the other day about a cigarette lighter put into the top box for power. Eureka! I already had a remote little charge thing for my itouch so I can play it in my old truck over the radio and I don't want to buy the over expensive Dice doohickey thing for the CD player hookup, so figure I could do the power outlet thing too. So $7 later and 1/2 hour of work, I have a power outlet in the top box, and a quick hook up of the radio ipod thing and I have 400 some songs to listen to. And since it is coming through the radio, I can control the volume with no issues, just can't pause the ipod. Never did this anyway when I ran it through the helmet, so no worries there either.

Can't wait to get some vacation time and actually get the thing on the road.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Good for you--my wife's first ride was this spring...she loved it. Then we had a surprise by some friends who stopped by with their HD and Honda with their wives--we joined them for an ice cream run...I think my wife felt like a queen sitting back on her lazy boy...:bike: ...especially seeing how little room they had.

Keep safe and enjoying this incredible ride!

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
My wife is a good sport for most of my adventures but riding on the LT WITHOUT the sidecar attached, not so much. Anyone know where you can get a jacket with the armor on the sides instead of on the back? This would reduce the number of bruises and bent ribs from the incessant pummeling with the associated "you're tipping too much" comments.

My girl does not like to "tip". Not in a plane, not in a boat, not on a bike. I guess the sidecar isn't so bad. Except for in town riding, in the twisties, cruising the sweepers, .......

Sigh,

Loren

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,601 Posts
My wfe loves the LT also but will not ride more then 500 to 600 miles a day ,so on long trips I leave a day or two before her and she flys out to meet me.

I pull a trailer so all her cloths and gear is readl and waiting for her when she arives .

·
Premium Member
375 Posts
"Read a post here the other day about a cigarette lighter put into the top box for power"
---------------------------------------------
Where did you find the post???? OR how do you put the cig lighter in the top box??

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The power outlet thingy I got was from Radio Shack, $7 and some change. It has a nice finished outlet on it that is not designed to be put into a dash, the wires on it actually have clips on them so they can be hooked to a battery. I got this one because I wanted the outlet to hang free in the top case so it would not make it hard to remove the topcase later. I just cut the clips off. The wires are about 8 inches? long. To get power to the outlet, I just tapped into the outlet for the passenger. There is a grommet behind the passenger outlet that opens into the topcase, I ran the new wires through this and using some of those little no cut splicer things, got power. To get the cord out of the case liner, just cut a small X in the liner and push the wires through, cant even see on mine where the liner is cut. Again so I can remove the topcase in the future with minimal cursing, I put insulated spade connectors between the liner and the grommet in the topcase. This way removal of the topcase is the same but before removing the liner, just disconnect the outlet and the proceed as normal.

To do this, I did have to remove the rear seat and loosen the bolts holding the topcase on in order to get to the screws that hold the face plate on that houses the passenger outlet.

The outlet takes up minimal space in the box and with the extra cord, you can actuall move it around some. I think I am going wrap mine in velcro so I can stick it in an out of the way place.

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
cwo said:
"Read a post here the other day about a cigarette lighter put into the top box for power"
---------------------------------------------
Where did you find the post???? OR how do you put the cig lighter in the top box??
There's just "no limit" to the information available on the LT forum :) just look here

·
Premium Member
7,614 Posts
wa1200lt said:
My wife is a good sport for most of my adventures but riding on the LT WITHOUT the sidecar attached, not so much. Anyone know where you can get a jacket with the armor on the sides instead of on the back? This would reduce the number of bruises and bent ribs from the incessant pummeling with the associated "you're tipping too much" comments.

My girl does not like to "tip". Not in a plane, not in a boat, not on a bike. I guess the sidecar isn't so bad. Except for in town riding, in the twisties, cruising the sweepers, .......

Sigh,

Loren
Just have her close her eyes as each curve approaches. With her eyes closed shw won't know that you are leaned over.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts