BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ride two up 95% of the time and when starting at up hill stops I really have to slip the clutch to get the beast moving and it seems to need a lower first gear. Also it either needs a taller fifth gear or a sixth gear. Has anybody ever tried to change gearing, is it is even possible? :confused:

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
norton said:
I ride two up 95% of the time and when starting at up hill stops I really have to slip the clutch to get the beast moving and it seems to need a lower first gear. Also it either needs a taller fifth gear or a sixth gear. Has anybody ever tried to change gearing, is it is even possible? :confused:

It has been brought up on several occaissions over the years and the concensus has been that either it can't be done or a new set of gears would need to be custom cut. Which pretty much means it can't be done.

See if any of the posts on this topic show up below the posts as your title description was good which might cause a related post to come to the forefront. (serious intake of air related to run on sentence)

As to higher gears, both 4th and 5th are overdrive gears i.e the ratio is below 1.0. Gearing the LT higher would result in lower rpm's which is absolutely not where you want to run it. It's good to 64mph in first and over 100 in 5th before wind resistance kicks in and the fuel mileage is in the 40's to low 50's so it must be about right.

Loren

·
Premium Member
7,845 Posts
norton said:
I have often wished for this also particularly the lower 1st gear. I have no idea what BMW was thinking when they designed the ratios for the LT. My bike idles at 7 MPH, which is just ridiculous. A lower 6th would be nice, but not nearly as nice as a lower 1st!!

·
Registered
335 Posts
Voyager said:
I have often wished for this also particularly the lower 1st gear. I have no idea what BMW was thinking when they designed the ratios for the LT. My bike idles at 7 MPH, which is just ridiculous.
Maybe they geared it up to try to snatch it through the hard spot. BMW knew before the LT went into production that it was unstable at low speeds, so maybe they geared it up so it just wouldn't go slow. If they were operating in corporate America, I would suspect it was a risk control maneuver approved by their legal department so that the engineers could have a few years to work on the steering geometry.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
tips727 said:
Maybe they geared it up to try to snatch it through the hard spot. BMW knew before the LT went into production that it was unstable at low speeds, so maybe they geared it up so it just wouldn't go slow. If they were operating in corporate America, I would suspect it was a risk control maneuver approved by their legal department so that the engineers could have a few years to work on the steering geometry.
Back then on forums was the often used line "unstable at slow speeds?...so is an F-16"

·
Registered
837 Posts
The only time my 05 LT was unstable at slow speed was when I turned the front end hard left or right when coming to a stop. Otherwise it was a pretty decent handling bike even at parking lot speeds. It just wasn't fond of gravel at very low turning speeds.

Rick H.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Ric said:
The only time my 05 LT was unstable at slow speed was when I turned the front end hard left or right when coming to a stop. Otherwise it was a pretty decent handling bike even at parking lot speeds. It just wasn't fond of gravel at very low turning speeds.

Rick H.
Or wet leaves, or moss, or sawdust, or wet concrete/asphalt, or white painted stripes. Yikes! White painted stripes!

Loren

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
patrick2000 said:
"unstable at slow speeds?...so is an F-16"
:rotf:

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
While riding across Texas, on an interstate, I compared gas milage running in 4th gear compared to 5th gear--it was about the same, 50mpg.

It doesn't take that long to run through a half a tank or so at 80 MPH.

My Beast! is not like any other bike, auto, or truck I have owned. Running her at low, normal?, RPMs doesn't have an advantage.

Best from Tucson
Bob

·
Premium Member
7,845 Posts
tips727 said:
I have not noticed any low-speed instability. No worse than any other bike I've ridden. The only instability is caused by having to slip the clutch to keep from stalling when you have to ride slowly!
:rotf:

·
Premium Member
7,845 Posts
patrick2000 said:
Back then on forums was the often used line "unstable at slow speeds?...so is an F-16"
The F-16 is unstable at ALL speeds.

·
Registered
876 Posts
6 speed transmission from a K12RS would fit, but you'd have no reverse. But I also find the taller first gear on such a large bike to be just a bit puzzling, especially when coming from a K100RT, which was an excellent bike for funerals, but too low geared in 5th. ;)

·
Registered
132 Posts
Taller 5th??? Compared to my previous bike (Honda VT1100T), 5th gear on the LT is a Godsend. I wish I had a dollar for every time I went searching for a non-existent taller gear on the Honda tranny. Even on a steep hill, you couldn't coast in 5th without decelerating noticeably.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
15,064 Posts
wa1200lt said:
It has been brought up on several occaissions over the years and the concensus has been that either it can't be done or a new set of gears would need to be custom cut. Which pretty much means it can't be done.
Loren
The "first gear" gear is the last gear on the output shaft before it leaves the housing and it is very large in diameter. I don't think there is room in the case for a larger gear.

·
Registered
62 Posts
K100Dennis said:
6 speed transmission from a K12RS would fit, but you'd have no reverse. But I also find the taller first gear on such a large bike to be just a bit puzzling, especially when coming from a K100RT, which was an excellent bike for funerals, but too low geared in 5th. ;)
Dennis, I had considered that, I always thought the trans in my 04' RS would be splendid in my LT....

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
15,064 Posts
I guess this is why first gear is what it is. Not a lot of room to go bigger.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,845 Posts
jzeiler said:
I guess this is why first gear is what it is. Not a lot of room to go bigger.
Well, the case should be designed AFTER the gear set, not the other way aroundh. :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts