BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm actually not sure this qualifies as a farkle, but we bought a GoPro4 last night to document our upcoming adventures. I can see a few promising looking places to mount it on Stella, but I thought I'd seek out the wisdom of the board before I commit to a mounting point.

I'd really love to see vids shot from various points, and advice on the pros and cons of various mounting locations. Hopefully I'm not asking for too much....:wink:

TIA,

Mark:bmw:

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
I'm actually not sure this qualifies as a farkle, but we bought a GoPro4 last night to document our upcoming adventures. I can see a few promising looking places to mount it on Stella, but I thought I'd seek out the wisdom of the board before I commit to a mounting point.

I'd really love to see vids shot from various points, and advice on the pros and cons of various mounting locations. Hopefully I'm not asking for too much....:wink:

TIA,

Mark, I got a GoPro clone, same size and shape and yes, it does count as a farkle. Anything that was not stock qualifies. I currently have mine mounted in the center of the front faring just under the windscreen. I have a tether that I run under the wind screen and tie it to the odometer reset in case it should fall off. Pros, not looking through the windscreen, clearer view of what is ahead. Cons, feeling of flying when viewing as there is no reference of the bike in the frame. Some mount them on their helmets and I just saw one mounted on the back of the saddle bag pointing backwards. Provides an interesting aspect. Here is one of my most recent clips with a surprise ending but you can get the idea of that front faring placement.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I've been told (by you, I believe) that she does get sleepy...;)

Thanks for the vid, that was actually the first location I thought of, the others being the flat surfaces above the rub bars. I worry what might happen if she takes a nap with the camera in that location, but it looks like it should be fine, short of a really catastrophic fall. I also also like that there would be some bike perspective, but the jet fighter perspective is pretty awesome.

Decisions, decisions....

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
Well, I've been told (by you, I believe) that she does get sleepy...;)

Thanks for the vid, that was actually the first location I thought of, the others being the flat surfaces above the rub bars. I worry what might happen if she takes a nap with the camera in that location, but it looks like it should be fine, short of a really catastrophic fall. I also also like that there would be some bike perspective, but the jet fighter perspective is pretty awesome.

Decisions, decisions....

I can only hope that is the last time she takes a nap especially dumping me off in the middle of a highway :wink: If you hang it up front, just make sure you have some sort of tether on it unless you screw it to the faring. Mine is using the peal and stick adapters. Seems pretty solid.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
Have used the same position as bmwcoolk1200 in the past, trouble is switching the camera on/off unless you are stopped.. but thats not a biggy.

Some more samples...
Here's a quick trip from behind the screen, which is where I mainly use it as a crash-cam... (GoPro2 - 720P) with some added vignetting post-ride

And a much older clip with a panasonic handycam that was strapped to the right tip-over bar (very poor quality transfer) but it shows the wheel movement in relation to the bike frame and road. click

Having it way to the rear of the bike, in this case on a trailer

What I'd like to do next, when I get some time... is have it a bit like a MotoGP cam behind the rider on a gymble, but up high above & behind the passengers head so you get a sense of the lean, plus all the direct view we see when riding. One day I'll get a round-tuit.

Not legal to attach cams to helmets over here (big stink about that at the moment) and while that gives a lot of options, the constant head-movement can give the viewer a bit of vertigo / car-sick type feeling... I know I suffer from it badly and can't watch the. I need a stable reference point all the time.

And just for a bit of fun, 2 bikes, 2 camera positions, a great twisty road and a little bit of editing click

have fun, whatever you do!

·
Premium Member
1,392 Posts
I have tried mounting my GoPro 3+ Black on the left tip-over wing (see pix), but was unhappy with how the bike took up half the screen. The camera is presently mounted and tethered on the fairing under the front of the windshield. The remote control is mounted on the top of the stingray.

The advantage of mounting it on the tip-over wing, is that, using the skeleton frame, you can also plug it into the nearby powerlet outlet. The disadvantage, in addition to what I'd already stated, is that the skeleton frame is not waterproof, so it can only be used in fair weather.

I attached a tether disk to both the rear of the waterproof frame and on the dash. The coiled tether was recently added and obtained from REI and appears to work better than the stock string that comes with the tether disks. The string kept coming unwound from the camera mount, before adding the additional tether disk on the rear of the weatherproof frame. I could also use the skeleton frame and connect a USB cable from the camera to my Garmin 590 cradle's USB female outlet for power, but am a little leery of road debris hitting the unprotected body of the camera.

Although the helmet mount is another option, I've never been keen on having something mounted to the side of my modular helmet that is not also tethered. Some people like helmet mounts, but if mounted on the top of the helmet, can impede using flip-up shields.

:wave

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,345 Posts
I mounted my camera on my Jpeg once. It was a nice video and I used a small bolt through the hole in the Jpeg. But it was just a one time thing.

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
I have tried mounting my GoPro 3+ Black on the left tip-over wing (see pix), but was unhappy with how the bike took up half the screen. The camera is presently mounted and tethered on the fairing under the front of the windshield. The remote control is mounted on the top of the stingray.

The advantage of mounting it on the tip-over wing, is that, using the skeleton frame, you can also plug it into the nearby powerlet outlet. The disadvantage, in addition to what I'd already stated, is that the skeleton frame is not waterproof, so it can only be used in fair weather.

I attached a tether disk to both the rear of the waterproof frame and on the dash. The coiled tether was recently added and obtained from REI and appears to work better than the stock string that comes with the tether disks. The string kept coming unwound from the camera mount, before adding the additional tether disk on the rear of the weatherproof frame. I could also use the skeleton frame and connect a USB cable from the camera to my Garmin 590 cradle's USB female outlet for power, but am a little leery of road debris hitting the unprotected body of the camera.

Although the helmet mount is another option, I've never been keen on having something mounted to the side of my modular helmet that is not also tethered. Some people like helmet mounts, but if mounted on the top of the helmet, can impede using flip-up shields.

:wave
Dave, what did you use to mount your GPS? I have been playing with things to have it in that location but am not happy with my current hack of a mount. I don't have a shelf. Looks like it is mounted over the BMW logo on the stingray.

·
Registered
283 Posts
As far as camera's go?- I went with a Drift GhostS as it is waterproof and the remote control for it is really glove friendly. Pad may weigh in here as he has a SENA Bluetooth system and has found the SENA camera to work really well with it. Others like the GoPro...most all of them anymore are going to take vid that is high enough quality for us amateurs, so don't get too hung up on the tech features. Get the one that works the best for your sitch and it'll meet your needs.

About where to mount it? Here's some different mounting spots and some +/-'s.
1- Helmet. Probably the most versatile location. Where you look, that's what the camera catches. Down side is that it can get real jerky/swingy depending on how much you as a rider move your head around.
2- Front of faring- This view is the most unobstructed. This is a plus and minus thing. Plus is that there is nothing in the frame to distract the viewer....minus is that some complain that it gives the sensation of "floating" and that it's unsettling.
3- Right side engine guard- Cool perspective with the low front end of the bike visible in the frame. Down side is that the vid can be blurry due to engine vibration...get's better at higher RPM's. Up side is to see the front suspension doing it's job on a bumpy road...pretty cool vantage point.
4- Left side pannier- Used a suction cup mount. Minus is that it vibrates here too, but not as bad as #3 above. Plus side is to see down the whole left side of the bike and can see the shifting and clutch work. Great angle for oncoming traffic shots.
5- Others have tried a camera on the top box, but I can't speak to that.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Dave, what did you use to mount your GPS? I have been playing with things to have it in that location but am not happy with my current hack of a mount. I don't have a shelf. Looks like it is mounted over the BMW logo on the stingray.
On the '05 and up models that's the actual mounting point for the NAV III (or IV, etc.) GPS. The roundel is no longer there. :wave

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Also, thanks to all for the suggestions/advice. I really appreciate it!:cool:

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
On the '05 and up models that's the actual mounting point for the NAV III (or IV, etc.) GPS. The roundel is no longer there. :wave

Well Dang, either i have to get a newer model or make a better mount than what i hammered together an hour before leaving for SMFR. Thanks. I will keep working on it.

·
Premium Member
1,392 Posts
The other guys were correct. I had a Nav III originally mounted on my '07 and just modified some of the plastic to make the holes bigger to account the 590LM's additional wiring. Although about $135, it appears you can still order the stock mount and related pieces from MAX BMW, for the later model LT that should probably fit your earlier version. :bmw:

·
Registered
4,342 Posts
The other guys were correct. I had a Nav III originally mounted on my '07 and just modified some of the plastic to make the holes bigger to account the 590LM's additional wiring. Although about $135, it appears you can still order the stock mount and related pieces from MAX BMW, for the later model LT that should probably fit your earlier version. :bmw:
OK, got the fiche. If I understand it right, it looks like 5 may be a bolt plate that goes under the stingray top with 4 being some type of gasket which is not listed in the pricing and 3 being the mount. 2 is the pretty cover for all of that. That might work. Heck, just ordering 3 and 5 would look better than what I have now :)

Thanks for pointing me to that Dave. If I drill holes in my stingray, I at least want it to look good when I am done.

Attachments

·
Registered
269 Posts

TIA,

The suction cup mount works great on the lower part of the windscreen, had mine mounted their many times, as long as the suction cup and screen is clean in that area it will stay forever.

moisten the suction cup first. I found this to be the most secure if your using the suction cup. I have a lanyard on it but it's never come loose.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts