BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to do a brake fluid replacement on my '03 LT.
(first time doing it myself)
When I look at Clymers and the writeup for integrated brakes, the controller looks nothing like mine.....but...........
When they talk about "rear wheel control circuit" "bleeder on the riders right and rear",
looks to me like I can't get a wrench on that bleeder without taking the battery out and power the bike with jumpers................
Which is O.K. if that's what it takes, but just thought I'd check in before I went off in a wrong direction....................................
Again, thanx for any

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
JohnZ has a writeup in the HOW. Step by step. Works great. I was very nervous too, but it's not that bad, just take your time. I bought a vacuum pump, but it's pretty much worthless, except for sucking the old fluid out of the reservoirs.

·
Premium Member
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanx
yep,.......got the writeup but....................................
Not very good about explaining/showing what's what.............
and...doesn't say anything about removing the battery so I wasn't sure I was understanding what was written..............................................
guess I'm on my own................................................................

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
The 03LT only requires removing the left side battery cover.
The bleed screws are hard to get to. Works better with specially
bent wrench.

DanMartin
Houston

·
Premium Member
1,501 Posts
I pull the battery & the Battery cover, it only takes a minute or two to get the battery out. You don't need the battery in to bleed the master cylinder to ABS unit. I bleed the master to ABS , then put the battery back in & do the ABS to wheel lines. Works for me, your results may vary:wave

·
Premium Member
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just what I needed patrick
Thanx

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,341 Posts
If you are only FLUSHING the brakes you need only remove old fluid via the long nipples on the ABS unit. If you have replaced a line then you need to get to those pesky side mounted ones and in a special order. It is in the BMW manual but Clymer refers I ABS users to the dealer.

·
Premium Member
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanx John
That makes it all muich easier.......................

·
Registered
17 Posts
I am about to do my first brake system flush. Can someone please direct me to JZEILER's write up in HOW. I am not seeing it there. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Technical, HOW, maintenance, brakes, mnblett, bottom of post.............................

·
Registered
17 Posts
Thanks starfighter. I guess since it was referred to as ' a writeup by John Z ' I was looking for his name.

Is there more than one???

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,341 Posts
There is the original Integral brake write up by Mark Neblett and my addendum for the 05 and up. I also have DVDs for all model years available. I won't be able to ship any until I return from CCR on Sep 9th.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts