BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks to the collective wisdom found on this forum and a tech session over a jzeiler's (thanks John), I mustered the confidence to tackle a 24K service. Of course, I have lots of questions, but I've narrowed it down to 3 (for now).

There is a loose 2-pin female connector (red/yellow wire and a brown wire) under the fuel lines/fuel pump access cover on the right side. Any idea what it may be? It's not connected to anything and everthing works on the bike. It just makes me wonder...

When I bought my parts, I thought my '01 would have clamp connectors instead of the quick disconnects (which I have), so I did not buy new o-rings. My dealer doesn't reopen until Tuesday. Should I wait and buy new ones or can I reuse the existing o-rings on the QDs?

When I changed the coolant, I notice Chilton's says to turn the engine over and "massage" the hoses to get all of the air purged from the system. I still have the fuel tank off and lots of loose wires, is it safe to crank the engine with everything still off the bike? I'd hate to toast some electronics by cranking, but not starting the engine. I have burped the hoses and let it stand so the cooling system should be full. What are the chances of air still being trapped in the system if I don't crank the engine as instructed? Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
The two pin connector you see is for an additional Powerlet which can be mounted on the right fairing in the same approximate position as the left one is. Just buy a Powelet receptacle from your dealer, drill out the mounting hole and plug it in! If you need the additional power that is.

The O-rings can be re-used as long as they are not nicked up or overswollen. If you can re-connect the QD's and see no leaks when you do the leak check you're probably good till the next time you have the tank off!

I'm not too sure how critical it is to turn the engine over for the coolant change if you've done a good job of draining and massaging all the lower hoses, but it should not do any harm to turn it over.

HTH, and good luck with the money saving! It really does make my day every time I do any of the work to just think about how much the shops charge to do really simple tasks!

John

·
Registered
69 Posts
Hey Doug,

Your o rings should be good to go. just lube them before you reconnect them. put a little dino oil on the rings to make sure they slide in smothly. did you lube your shift linkage?

·
Premium Member
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I appreciate the response. It's the little things like this that make this site worthy of time and investment as far as I am concerned. Of course there are a lot of folks here capable of helping with the "big" things also. Thanks again!

Yes I did lube the linkage, but reattaching everything was a real pain!

·
Registered
69 Posts
I guess I should have let you try mine to see what it was like. I was the one at Johns tech session. good to hear from you again.

·
Premium Member
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You made it look a lot easier that it was for me... Of course my bifocals need a tune up so that didn't help any.

You and your LT doing good now that you've had a chance to put some miles on it after the service at John's?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Yeah, she is running great. I had a 5 mpg increase also. I have yet to do the hid install. Maybe we could get John to host another Session.

·
Premium Member
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Almost done!

Hey guys, I'm on the downhill side of getting the ole girl back together and hope to build a fire in the boiler room tomorrow. Thanks for the help!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts