BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
King of the Castle
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got back from a Curve Cowboy scouting trip to the rally hotel in Chattanooga. Did 1100 miles with the wife in back. All weather conditions including a gully washer and have nothing bad to say about the bike. Can you see the smile on my face. We've still got rooms available and there will be many GT's and GTL's there. Check it out. :dance:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thank you for your Feedback!

I have just join this forum. I am from sunny South Africa where we can ride through winter! English is not my first language so I hope not to offend any body!

At the moment I am riding a 2013 Triumph Rocket Roadster. It is really a special bike with unbelievable talk. But I am looking for more comfort, more luxury - special for the wife on longer rides.

I am looking at the GTL Exclusive and last week I arrange with a dealer to take her on a ride with the GTL E. (It is not a demo but somebody's bike) She complaint about the wind in her face. Accordingly to her it was worse than sitting behind me on the Rocket.

From forums I have picked up that the wind buffeting is really an issue since 2011. I have seen that people fit "aeroflow wings " and stuff to neutralized the buffeting. How is it possible that BMW could not have addressed this issue if the bike have been developed in wind tunnels to increase rider and pillion comfort?

I would really appreciate if you can give a more detailed reply from your pillion. After 2000 miles she must really be the person we would like to talk to!!
It would be much appreciated. Thanks!!

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,602 Posts
My wife has over 10,000 miles with me on my GTL & yes there was lots of Buffeting for her till I added the Aeroflow windshield & Aerowings. I also had my seat rebuilt by Bill Mayer Saddles. They raised me up about 3/4 inch & lowered the rear part of the seat so she is now tucked in behind me more. All normal buffeting is now gone.
I had to change the seat & windshield on my last bike (K1200LT) also. It is just what most people have to do on most bikes.

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
Congrats. Just got 6K miles on mine (not an exclusive) since Feb. The only bad thing I can say is it wears out tires and runs out of gas.:):):)

·
Registered
120 Posts
My wife has complained about being too high with the stock seat. A Corbin seat has slienced that complaint.

I am similar to Steve in build and have looked at the way he has his bike set up and plan to add the Aerowings to my GTL also. This should alleviate some of the buffeting that my pillion feels. (Her only complaint now but with over 10K miles behind me, that is one complaint I can live with ;-)

I agree that the bike should not have to be fitted with after market farkles to alleviate the buffeting. That said, there is no equal from any other manufacturer that I know of.

·
Registered
3,727 Posts
I just got back from a Curve Cowboy scouting trip to the rally hotel in Chattanooga. Did 1100 miles with the wife in back. All weather conditions including a gully washer and have nothing bad to say about the bike. Can you see the smile on my face. We've still got rooms available and there will be many GT's and GTL's there. Check it out. :dance:
You bums should have called me and I would have let you all buy me and the wife dinner at the Foundry!:p

·
King of the Castle
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The city was packed. River end going on. We went to big River brewing Co. Gutes Bier!!

·
King of the Castle
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
RiverBend

1 - 9 of 9 Posts