BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 08 LT is ready for the 12K service and was wondering how important is checking the valve clearances at this point? I can do all the other 12k required service myself...It also needs F&R tires, but I can get that done anywhere. The dealer quoted me $1300.00 out the door with new tires!! That seems absolutely nuts to me!! But maybe its worth it, I don't know. This is my first BMW motorcycle and absolutely love it!! I want to treat her right, but within reason!

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,187 Posts
Ditto on what Dave said. Important to know the baseline. My first adjustment wasn't until the 48K check. Do not remove the plugs before checking the exhaust valve as this can dislodge carbon bits and may throw off the valve clearance check. they can become trapped under an open valve and hold it open a bit while doing the check.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the website link...it's a great write up! Looks like I can try and do it myself!

·
Premium Member
1,882 Posts
Really isn't as hard as you may think. Take the whole process nice and slow (and look 2 steps ahead just in case). I am really bad at math, so I got someone to check over my figures and that helped.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts