BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
OK ... the guy's a lunatic, idiot, moron, and so on. But where's the backups?! :confused: Hello?!
These kind of stories send me through the roof!!!

·
IBR# 366
16,572 Posts
Maybe the guy they fired was responsible for the backups? :crazy:

·
IBR# 366
16,572 Posts
messenger13 said:
The owner of a 6-employee company better be a little more hands-on than that.
Agreed. But some of these guys are way too important to be bothered with such trivial details. That's where guys like you and I fit in. :) I have full backups of all the equipment I've worked on, and I still get frantic calls when something goes kablooey. You'd be surprised how fast they can cough up a PO and a 50% deposit when the entire production line has come to a halt. :deal: :cool:

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
Okay question from the peanut gallery!!!

If he was so great at destroying all of this info, Why did'nt he cover his tracks, so no one would know it was him that destroyed all the info???

About all I know is a little more than how to turn it on and off! Enough to get me in trouble!!

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
NOGILLS2 said:
If he was so great at destroying all of this info, Why did'nt he cover his tracks, so no one would know it was him that destroyed all the info???
I have to believe at the moment when he was going Postal, his discernment of consequences was a little blurred. :crazy:

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Certainly would have been easy enough to cover your tracks. But. there are very few coincidences in the business. Employee fired, files gone the next day ?

Doesn't take too much in the way of math skills to figure out what has happened.

But still. You shouldn't piss off your computer guy if you don't know what's going on yourself.

John

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
I guess it shows you have to be smart to get away with it!

·
IBR# 366
16,572 Posts
JPSpen said:
Certainly would have been easy enough to cover your tracks. But. there are very few coincidences in the business. Employee fired, files gone the next day?
Every good techie knows you should wait at least a week before hacking back in to the office servers. Duh. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
And make damn sure you've planted your own backdoor.

that way when they change all the passwords 10 minutes before you're shown the door - you still have a way in....

·
Premium Member
7,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Zotter said:
And make damn sure you've planted your own backdoor.

that way when they change all the passwords 10 minutes before you're shown the door - you still have a way in....
Yeah.. good thing the "offshoring" of programming for crucial applications isn't affected..

... uh-huh...

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Dumb shit!, but how many IT guys here have back doors into the systems they maintain???

Come on...own up! I used to work for a university, and 2 years after I left my back doors were still open. I sent them a mail to get them closed. Well ya have to have a way in when it all goes tits up don't you???!

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
myk_edwards said:
Dumb shit!, but how many IT guys here have back doors into the systems they maintain???
That would violate company policy... ;)

myk_edwards said:
... it all goes tits up don't you???!
I really do like some of the expressions you guys "over there" use Myk... Doubt I can use it though next time things go kablooey {thanks Ken }.

Backups - how many times have you gone to the backup only to find, it won't load, was 'messed up', wasn't on the tape at all, backups were turned off or kobs fail and no one reviews the logs, etc...? It's a great profession!

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Shawn in order - this may help out.

Pranged - not as it should be, needs repair (sometimes fittingly used by Brits as an understatement for a Charlie Fox, or worse. Be careful when talking to Brits though - they have their own scale.)
SNAFU - Situation normal, all "fouled" up - it's under repair and will be ready soon, they say.
Tango Uniform - Tits up (it's dead Jim) - It's broke and no one's repaired it. May be scheduled for repair with a workable ETA
FUBAR - "Fouled" up beyond all Repair - They said it was repaired, but it ain't, yet. May also mean it's under repair, but with no workable ETA.
Charle Fox - Cluster "foul" - either no one noticed it needed repair or it failed again in such a way as to be obvious. May also mean it's under repair and they broke it even worse. "They" should replace it.
Romeo Fox - Rat "foul" - It was fixed, signed off and was used. But, it wasn't right and now all kinds of bad things - very bad things - have happened as a result.

You never, ever wanted to hear even so much as a rumor of a Romeo Fox - that affected EVERYONE badly.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Zotter said:
Shawn in order - this may help out.

Pranged - not as it should be, needs repair (sometimes fittingly used by Brits as an understatement for a Charlie Fox, or worse. Be careful when talking to Brits though - they have their own scale.)
SNAFU - Situation normal, all "fouled" up - it's under repair and will be ready soon, they say.
Tango Uniform - Tits up (it's dead Jim) - It's broke and no one's repaired it. May be scheduled for repair with a workable ETA
FUBAR - "Fouled" up beyond all Repair - They said it was repaired, but it ain't, yet. May also mean it's under repair, but with no workable ETA.
Charle Fox - Cluster "foul" - either no one noticed it needed repair or it failed again in such a way as to be obvious. May also mean it's under repair and they broke it even worse. "They" should replace it.
Romeo Fox - Rat "foul" - It was fixed, signed off and was used. But, it wasn't right and now all kinds of bad things - very bad things - have happened as a result.

You never, ever wanted to hear even so much as a rumor of a Romeo Fox - that affected EVERYONE badly.
Thanks Tate... lately we have had a run of "bad luck" and my admins making less than smart choices, consequently I find my self in the principal's office getting grilled and filling out a lot of Incident Reports.... I should be able to work a few of these in! ;)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts