BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, maybe I shouldn't shout that so loud. I mean it's no0t like we're in a crowded movie theater. I saddled up in the 32 degree Cleveland weather, presumably to go over and break things off with my gal as things have been not going so well lately. I was taking a shortcut thru the Metroparks and caught a wiff of something burning. I had just installed a new battery a few days previous, and thought my wiring harness was somehow going south. I pulled over, had a good amount of smoke rising up from under the seat. long story short, it wasn't the wiring but the rubber boot on the final drive. It was in flames on the backside between the FD and the wheel.

I blew the flames out and let it sit for a bit. I put it up on the centerstand and spun the wheel freely. I then started it up and put it in first gear on the centerstand, all seemed normal. Touching the FD it seemed warm to the touch like normal. It was not hot. I was gonna call for a tow but realized in my haste to leave the house, that I had forgotten my phone. So I opted to cautiously try and drive it home (about 6 miles) it was then I realized that I had no rear brake...all lever - no stoppee. The front brake still functions fine. I made it home with no issues.

If I had to guess, and I will go outside shortly and try to confirm this, I would say that the rear inside brake shoe might be bad, or the caliper. I did notice, while I had my face down by the FD that the outside brake shoe had pleanty of material left on it. I didn't think to check the inner shoe. I'm wondering if the caliper is froze up, taking the inner pad down to nothing, which might have made some sparks and caught some grease on the boot afire. Although there was never any indication as to the brake being gone. No grinding or shuddering, so this is just a guess at the moment.

Or maybe it's the universe telling me to give my girl another another shot at happiness!

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
With your brakes gone out, I'd suspect that the problem was brakes alone.
Amazing if the heat of a rubbing brake pad and rotor caused the rubber boot of the FD to catch fire.
It may be that the only problem with the final drive is the rubber boot.
I'm betting you're going to need a new brake rotor and caliper or at least a caliper rebuild.
Let us know what you find....

Addendum: you noted some play at the rear wheel. This is probably due to looseness at the pivot bearings. I'd suggest checking that first.
I have not heard of a case where the final drive itself resulted in looseness of the wheel unless they had already been catastrophic crown wheel bearing failure (i.e. oil coming out the fd bearing seal).

Family_fun said:
OK, maybe I shouldn't shout that so loud. I mean it's no0t like we're in a crowded movie theater. I saddled up in the 32 degree Cleveland weather, presumably to go over and break things off with my gal as things have been not going so well lately. I was taking a shortcut thru the Metroparks and caught a wiff of something burning. I had just installed a new battery a few days previous, and thought my wiring harness was somehow going south. I pulled over, had a good amount of smoke rising up from under the seat. long story short, it wasn't the wiring but the rubber boot on the final drive. It was in flames on the backside between the FD and the wheel.

I blew the flames out and let it sit for a bit. I put it up on the centerstand and spun the wheel freely. I then started it up and put it in first gear on the centerstand, all seemed normal. Touching the FD it seemed warm to the touch like normal. It was not hot. I was gonna call for a tow but realized in my haste to leave the house, that I had forgotten my phone. So I opted to cautiously try and drive it home (about 6 miles) it was then I realized that I had no rear brake...all lever - no stoppee. The front brake still functions fine. I made it home with no issues.

If I had to guess, and I will go outside shortly and try to confirm this, I would say that the rear inside brake shoe might be bad, or the caliper. I did notice, while I had my face down by the FD that the outside brake shoe had pleanty of material left on it. I didn't think to check the inner shoe. I'm wondering if the caliper is froze up, taking the inner pad down to nothing, which might have made some sparks and caught some grease on the boot afire. Although there was never any indication as to the brake being gone. No grinding or shuddering, so this is just a guess at the moment.

Or maybe it's the universe telling me to give my girl another another shot at happiness!

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the input. Are caliber rebuild kits avail. in the aftermarket or even from the dealer? I'll have to hunt around.

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
I don't know if rebuild kits are available.
The BMW parts list doesn't show anything but the whole caliper:
03 34217687020 BRAKE CALIPER, REAR 2.43 1 $519.77
but I wouldn't be surprised if the actual brake manufacturer or an aftermarket company has the stuff.
Or maybe just buy a used one from beemerboneyard if you find you need one.

Before you worry about that, why not take off the rear wheel and the final drive. FD has to come off to replace the burned rubber boot, right?

Take pics of the rotor and caliper, we'd like to see 'em.

Family_fun said:
Thanks for the input. Are caliber rebuild kits avail. in the aftermarket or even from the dealer? I'll have to hunt around.

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
CharlieVT said:
I don't know if rebuild kits are available.
The BMW parts list doesn't show anything but the whole caliper:
03 34217687020 BRAKE CALIPER, REAR 2.43 1 $519.77
I just checked RealOEM, and BMW does show a rear caliper rebuild kit,

Part number 342 14 665 377 at $129.11. The Real OEM prices may not be the same as the Dealer prices.

Edit: I just checked MaxBmw's fiche, and they have it for $110.79

·
Registered
470 Posts
Do Not go with a EBC rotor! They do not fit the hub correctly so I added another spacer. Started to have a severe vibration coming from the rear end. Found the floating rotor just floating a bit TOO MUCH. The hub housing has worn badly were the rivits anchor the rotor causing it to be 1/8" out of balance Do not go with the EBC rotor!

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
FF,

That's crazy! If you need help on the install, let me know, I have the manual and have done rear brakes before...

F

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Could it be that the inner pad was gone and sparks from metal to metal went forward and ignited the boot?

Ron

·
Registered
8 Posts
Sorry to hear about the boot...and probably the pads...and maybe the caliper and hose...and maybe the rotor...and maybe the speed sensor.
I had this "opportunity" back in July when it was HOT out and needed to travel through about a mile of chip-seal (paving by dumping oil, then covering with gravel) about 3 miles from home. The following day - rode to work (5 miles) no problem, then had to travel 20 miles on the freeway mid-day. About a mile before the exit (at around 70 on cruise) - the ABS lights started to wig-wag at me - went to pull over and had waaaaay too much rear pedal. The heat from the rotor toasted everything. Cause - a rock stuck (glued by asphalt) under the rear linkage. No More Chip-Sealed Roads
I got my rotor, boot, and sensor from Ride West BMW, caliper and hose (used) from beemerboneyard. I have felt your pain... :( Hope yours has a smaller parts count than mine.

Ron
99 Champagne

·
Premium Member
1,428 Posts
dshealey said:
I just checked RealOEM, and BMW does show a rear caliper rebuild kit,

Part number 342 14 665 377 at $129.11. The Real OEM prices may not be the same as the Dealer prices.

Edit: I just checked MaxBmw's fiche, and they have it for $110.79
+1 for this. While I had an issue with my fronts, I sourced (but did not use) these rebuild kits. They consist of the replacement pots and seals. Easy install, As I removed mine and chose to clean and replace the originals.... :D

·
Registered
80 Posts
And as far as the karma/girlfriend thing...if she wins the lottery you have your answer!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts