BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
72 Days from Salvage sale to complete rebuild.

Yesterday I got my LT on the road. Everything was perfect. Well - except for the CD player. It worked fine in my shop, but on the road it was terrible.

The bike tracked perfectly, rode strong, and looked good, although it is 5 colors right now.

After giving it a nice easy test in the parking lot I got out on the open road. I got more and more comfortable with the bike.

Until finally I wound it up, and roade the piss out of it.

All systems were go.

Transmission - Great (a little clunky, but normal - I did start off a little jerky, engine needs a few more revs when switching gears than does my cruiser a couple of shift throughs and I found the sweet spots)

Brakes - Check (amazingly the ABS system works great - just needed a reset)

Motor - Smooth and powerful. Propelled this 800+ pound bike easily.

·
Registered
193 Posts
If you don't mind me asking what kind of $$ do you have in it?

Just curious...

Nice job BTW!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
About 4.5K - counting fluids/tires

Biggest expense (other than base bike):

1. Windshield assembly. Only part that I could not find salvage. Still got a good deal on it $250 shipped.

I *might* could find a good 99 for 6K+ so its not a huge savings, but it was fun, and cheap enough.

(I stress *might* since I've never seen a local one for under 9K asking - just going by some ebay and prices here)

·
Registered
193 Posts
Well then, you have got yourself on heck of a good deal!

Congratulations!

·
Registered
151 Posts
I saw U

You rode to work?....guess I'm the first on the board to see it in person...

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hybridcage said:
You rode to work?....guess I'm the first on the board to see it in person...

That was me!

Great little ride. Hit the 181 speedway at lunch. Nice midday break.

BTW: I meant to compliment you on your avatar. I need to get a Duke sticker for my LT, right now its my only vehicle without one.

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
Looking at that picture reminds me of an old Johnny Cash song about working in a Cadillac plant. :D Good job! :thumb:

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
Congrats Phil,

I would say getting a salvage LT on the road with all electricals in order is a fine accomplishment. We'll look for you on the road. Post when you get it painted. Great job!!

·
Registered
151 Posts
Paint job

You'll find if you paint your LT "champagne", it will not only be faster than other LT's, but ride smooooother.

(Extensive secret wind tunnel testing has proven this to be fact)

·
Registered
495 Posts
Paint Vs Vne (Speed) Curve

I take exception with your comment about the color Champagne being the fastest.

We have run this thread in the past and if memory serves me correctly (And I think it Does) "Black" is the fastest color.

Let me explain

I own a Canyon Red 99 LT but it started out Black (which is good). Once it was broke in and I started testing the "Real Speed" of this bike a wonderful thing occurred!!!

Due to Boundary Layer Heating from Aerodynamic Skin Friction / Drag (At High Speeds) the Black is "Super Heated" and transformed into a beautiful shade of Red Ie- Canyon Red to be exact.

Now this situation has been tested many times but it only works with "Black" LT's.

I think others will attest to this Phenomena.

Later

Stevea2980

Attachments

·
IBR# 366
16,560 Posts
hybridcage said:
You'll find if you paint your LT "champagne", it will not only be faster than other LT's, but ride smooooother.
Plus you'll get a free lifetime supply of tiny bubbles. The down side is that the CD changer only recognizes Lawrence Welk. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts