BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats your fave.. If I make it to next Summer's CCR I'll bring some 12 yr old Gibson's and hopefully initiate into the booze bro's. (want that number too..lol)
I really don't drink much, but when I do, the good stuff doesn't seem to leave the hangover and headaches effect as bad ;)

anyone ever hear of the hunter's fireside book ??

Hbar/don

·
Premium Member
7,820 Posts
If it's bourbon you're after (remember: all bourbon is whiskey, but not all whiskey is bourbon), get yourself a bottle of Woodford Reserve. Made in a very small distillery near Versailles, KY. It's very smooooooth....

Then go there and take the tour.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Fine Whiskey

Johnny Walker Blue Label & Jack Daniel's Single Barrel.

·
Premium Member
7,565 Posts
McCallan 18, The Balvenie 21 year old Port Finish, and GlenFarclas.

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
I know this will probably be blasphemy, as I have experienced the annual meetings of the Booze Brothers at CCR. (3 years in a row to date.) And those boys bring out all kinds of fancy sippin' whiskeys, scotches, ports, tequilas, and what-have-you. I have sampled from the lot and have been edumacated somewhat...but perhaps this man just isn't refined enough to know that all those put together can't take the place of double shot of Yukon Jack.
The Canadian liqueur made from whiskey and honey. Straight up, on the rocks, or with lime juice . . . it's all good.

FWIW, I haven't had but maybe 10 shots of Yukon Jack in the past 15 years. Lest I should fall into "old habits". ;)

"a taste born of hoary nights, when lonely men struggled to keep their fires lit and their cabins warm."

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
DavidTaylor said:
McCallan 18, The Balvenie 21 year old Port Finish, and GlenFarclas.
I'll vote for these choices!

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Lagavullin, distillery strength -THE only way to drink water

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
Woolly said:
Lagavullin, distillery strength -THE only way to drink water
Wooly,
Can't believe that you would "cut it" with H2O!

"The colour is old gold with amber glints. The nose is rich, and marked by animal hints and smoky barley, with traces of creamy peat (vanilla from the cask?).
The peaty taste reveals progressively sea hints (smoked fish, iodine) on liquorice background. The smoky finish reveals also some fine woody hints" . . .

Single Malts deserve to be savoured without ice or water. The true bouquet nose must be appreciated!!!!

If you come to CCR, we shall share some great distilled single malts!
Cheers!

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
Zotter said:

My favorite :cool: The standard for 'smooth' against which all others are measured.
I was on a business trip to Northern Ireland about 40 years ago, and picked up a bottle of "Black Bush", just for the heck of it. Not being much of a drinker, just went to my cabinet and see it is still there, unopened.

Is it still good? :D :D

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
PMitchell said:
Wooly,
Can't believe that you would "cut it" with H2O!

Single Malts deserve to be savoured without ice or water. The true bouquet nose must be appreciated!!!!

Cheers!

In fact, most discerning drinkers will "cut" a single malt, be it cask strength, barrel draft or otherwise with 2 or 3 drops of distilled water. This brings out the character of the whiskey without ruining the nose and/or flavor.

F

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
The good Stuff

OK, I can almost hear the banjos . . .

This is from the Jameson Distillery in County Cork circa 2001.
Very rare Medleton Irish Whisky, Triple distilled, 40% alcohol by Master Distiller Bcurry Crockett No 002608, Production Strictly Limited 700 ml

I need a reason to pop this cork . . .
:p

Attachments

·
Registered
178 Posts
Dave,

It should be just fine. I have a bottle of very rare scotch. It's made by the smallest distillery in Scotland. Best scotch I've ever had, but since it is so "rare" I only touch it on very special occasions.

Guess the best advice is...go ahead and drink it. It would be a perfect excuse for another trip to Ireland.

Keith

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
Florian said:
In fact, most discerning drinkers will "cut" a single malt, be it cask strength, barrel draft or otherwise with 2 or 3 drops of distilled water. This brings out the character of the whiskey without ruining the nose and/or flavor.

F
Ahhhh . . . learn something every day!

·
Registered
183 Posts
dshealey said:
I was on a business trip to Northern Ireland about 40 years ago, and picked up a bottle of "Black Bush", just for the heck of it. Not being much of a drinker, just went to my cabinet and see it is still there, unopened.

Is it still good? :D :D
It's probably gone bad. Just send it to me and I'll get rid of it for you. :)

My favorite is The MACALLAN Anniversary Malt – aged 25 years.

18-year-old MACALLAN single malt is pretty good.

“Glenmorangie Traditional” is also very good. It’s not aged very long – 10 or 12 years – can’t remember – but it has a great taste.

I picked up a bottle of Glenmorangie Traditional in the Frankfurt Duty Free store in May. When I tried to pick up another bottle in October I couldn’t because you can’t take liquids aboard US flights. :mad:

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
Florian said:
These statements line up with what Ed Early (early1) taught me in Breckenridge. I agree entirely.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Bad whiskey???

I can only say there is no such thing as a bad whiskey - it is just that some taste better than others ;-)))

As to how to drink it it has been suggsted that you add 1 lump of ice to your glass. This cools the drink and when you take a sip and hold it in your mouth as it heats up and more of the flavour and taste is released.

Scottish definition of a bottle of whiskey?
Too much for one but not enough for 2.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
"Crown Royal".

Handlebar said:
Whats your fave.. If I make it to next Summer's CCR I'll bring some 12 yr old Gibson's and hopefully initiate into the booze bro's. (want that number too..lol)
I really don't drink much, but when I do, the good stuff doesn't seem to leave the hangover and headaches effect as bad ;)
Hbar/don
Not much of a drinker but I like to sip "Crown Royal". Is it considered fine?

·
Registered
183 Posts
Florian said:

F
I learn something every day. I never "cut" my single malt. But I read your post and decided to check it out. It seems that most of the major distillers suggest that you do indeed cut the whiskey with a little water . . . . not much . . . . just a little. Thanks for the information.

I'm going to check it out tonight . . . . with a good cigar. :thumb:

I just thought of something - that bottle of 25-year-old MACALLAN will last longer!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts