BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been monitoring the board for some time-great board and info on here! Have way too many motorcycles probably like a lot on here but mostly been a Goldwing guy over the years but always wanted to pick up a K1200lt. They just have dropped to the point I had to jump on one. Hard decision as I had decided to go 2005 and up but a beautiful 1999 came open with only 30k miles and it was the color I wanted-Black!

Now I have a couple questions. It's at a Harley dealer and they say the paint job is so utterly perfect they think it had to be a factory paint job. It has a good(not rebuilt) title. Could there have been some 1999 K1200lt's that came black from the factory?

Also all my radio gear is 5 pin din connection. Will the 1999 K1200lt be a 6 pin or 5 pin?

Finally will I be able to plug a Midland Cb in the oddments box and make it work? I know this is a subject frought with difficulties from past threads lol.

I'm picking it up tomorrow late or Friday.

Thanks

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
I purchased one of the first black LTs in the US, and it was a "limited edition" color in the 2001 model year. So I do not think black can possibly be a factory paint job on a 1999 LT.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I saw that bike online, I think...Quincy Illinois? It is gorgeous, but I have to agree, I don't think it is original. The K1200LT decals seem to be missing from the right and left fairing. Those are rarely missing on a factory paint job, and are rarely replaced on a repaint. That wouldn't stop me from moving forward after a good test ride making sure it tracks straight and feels right. The price is sure right on that one!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
tnjason thanks for the pep talk. I'm glad someone else thinks it's a great looking bike. I have the Pearl Yellow Gl1800 which almost has a neon glow my wife says but she actually likes the hi vis trying to keep up with me lol(she rides a trike). I like several of the Beemer colors but the black one is my favorite. She's gonna have to look harder now to spot me on Nightrider lol.

I just assumed most states had a version of a rebuilt title. LIke I said the Harley dealer is convinced it's factory. Maybe someone just wanted a black one and had it painted. I'll look it over good but I'm really hoping and expecting it to be NICE!

By the way does anyone have an answer on the radio cord hookup? Is it a 5 pin or 6 pin on the 99? I'm pretty sure it's a 6 pin which means I'll have to buy a lower cord to match.

·
Registered
62 Posts
If you have the J&M performance or elite series headsets, you can get a 6 pin cord and they will work. If you have the older headsets like me (Yamaha), you have to update the headsets also. I just ordered my new headsets and cords today.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks just been researching it and it is of course the 6 pin hookup. The CB question is a novel on the board. Looks like the old Midland 830 is the only one to make work from researching the archives.

·
Premium Member
166 Posts
Not sure if this bike is in Quincy, IL but if you are coming this way and picking the bike up at the local Harley dealer on Thursday I could meet you there (if you like). I'm getting ready for a fall foliage ride leaving tomorrow and if you are planning to ride the bike back to KY you could always join us.

Dennis Franks
[email protected]

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I noticed that the back of the panels on my LT has a sticker that demotes the factory color. mine is 343 for canyon red.

You could always take a torx driver with you to the dealer and see what the back panel will tell ya.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts