BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, on these very forums after several folks wrote about oil consumption be it normal or abnormal on thier newer RT's. I wrote and said mine had no oil consumption, which it did not---until---now. I am at 11,700 miles, 300 from the 12k, almost exactly one year since it rolled out of the show room. On this last 3K miles since the last oil change (synthetic at 3K always) I notice it is down about a half quart. Never happened before. I know changing oil every 3K is by some standards excessive, but it's peace of mind to me.

I've run it pretty hard lately out in the desert on those long straight roads, but a couple of friends have remarked that it is finally going through or near completion of it's break in period. A half quart (might be a little less) really is no big deal---but do I have an impending problem or is this normal? BTW, I used dino oil for the first 6K miles before changing to the synthetic stuff. :confused:

Thanks in advance,
Dave

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
heavynikonf3 said:
A half quart (might be a little less) really is no big deal---but do I have an impending problem or is this normal? BTW, I used dino oil for the first 6K miles before changing to the synthetic stuff.
I suspect that you changed to synth too soon, before the break-in was complete.

The anecdotal info I've observed over the last decade or so is that BMW's combination of NiKaSiL cylinder linings and hard piston rings means these components are not fully bedded in until 12K-18K, and synth prolongs the break-in. Your experience is completely consistent with what I've seen reported by other folks who have switched to synth too soon. Seems switching back to dino until break-in is complete takes care of the issue.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Mark, you are probably right---in goes the dino oil for at least another 3K.
Dave

1 - 3 of 3 Posts