BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally got my state required safety course out of the way and had it put on my driver's license today. Been sitting on the side stand for two weeks. Started it up and mosquito fogging for about one minute and then cleared up. Took it out for the first time for about two miles. Then I noticed the temp guage up almost to the white line just before the red hot area. Went home and added about eight ounces of water. Took it out again and still went past the center "normal" range halfway to the hot range. Looking for suggested course of action to troubleshoot my cooling system. Checked tire pressure and had only 25psi in front and 35psi in the rear. I guess the Harley Dealership really serviced it well as "I was told by them!" Now I wonder if they changed lubes or just addend to them where needed or even if they were checked.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just drove it again, after engine cooled, allowing water to be sucked back in radiator. It ran a little cooler but still not on center of the temp guage. Letting it cool off again and will give another try a little later this afternoon. This time I did'nt have any mosquito fogging. LoL :histerica

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
Mine runs about 2/3 the way up the the gage but will go all the way up in stop and go until the fans come on then the fans cool it down to about 1/2 then shut off. You should be adding 1/2 mix antifreeze and water, not just water.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Not that I don't trust a HD dealer to work on a BMW...but I would plan on changing the coolant A.S.A.P. It is not that big a job, just have someone around to help you hold the bike while you lean it to the right to "burp" the hoses. I did it at my first tech day and had lots of help. Everything worked and my 12 year old coolant was history.

Robert

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
mwnahas said:
Mine runs about 2/3 the way up the the gage but will go all the way up in stop and go until the fans come on then the fans cool it down to about 1/2 then shut off. You should be adding 1/2 mix antifreeze and water, not just water.
Thanks mwnahas. Mine now does just like you described yours. Think I'm going to change all the fluids first chance I get. I just don't think Harley Dealer did what they say they did.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
In these three test rides I did today, I found out that I'm about two inches too short to have a really good footing when I stop at stop signs. Think I'm going to have to buy boots that have taller heels and thicker soles.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Check that you have your seat adjusted to the low position - it helps a bit. I also recently added lowered foot pegs as I had the same problem, and even in the lower position I was a bit too tucked over for hundreds of miles of comfort.

When you change the coolant, use silicate, nitrate and phosphate free coolant (Prestone 50/50 works, or I use Engine Ice but it's alot more expensive just like the original blue BMW stuff is). These products you add pure and un-dilted. You shouldn't put water into the system as corrosion becomes a risk with all the various metal alloys in these engines creating a cell.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
518 Posts
You also want to bring those tires up to recommended BMW pressures. Don't know what tires you are running, but Metzler ME880's seem to like 42lb in the front and 46lb in the rear.

Good luck with your new steed and try and keep it away from the Hundred Dollar (HD) dealer.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I was told if you take the bar right out it is lower yet..dunno.
I run just under half most of the time.
I have only heard the fans a couple times in stop and go traffic,make sure both fans are running.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Remember also that the fans don't come on until you reach nearly the top of the guage. If you have a pre-05 it happens just a smidge before the red temp line.

I have a 28" inseam and just had to get used to not being able to flat foot the bike when stopped. Although, with the current conditions of the springs, it has become a lot easier!

Loren

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
It definately sounds like you've got air in your cooling system...

You need to do a proper flush and fill before you ride it much...You might also need a new radiator cap....

Look in the Hall Of Wisdom ... Make sure you get all the air out...

Good Luck

John

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
wa1200lt said:
Remember also that the fans don't come on until you reach nearly the top of the guage. If you have a pre-05 it happens just a smidge before the red temp line.

I have a 28" inseam and just had to get used to not being able to flat foot the bike when stopped. Although, with the current conditions of the springs, it has become a lot easier!

Loren
Your right about the fans. Both mine do come on when/if I stop for awhile just before the white hash mark. Since I've been riding it a little bit it has got a lot better. I guess air has been pushed out and coolant sucked back in. No telling how long this bike has sat before I bought it.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Took another little five mile ride this evening to get some more experiance. Starting to feel a little more confident at stop signs. She seems to have gotten over the heating spells unless it's just the evening air. Seems I may have some cowling noise coming from underneath. Guess I'll practise removing cowlings and see what's under there and hopefully find out what's rattleing. I also noticed that about four inches above my right ankle it relly gets hot on my leg and is very uncomfortable. Anyone had that happen to them?

·
Registered
3,277 Posts
RonHolly said:
I also noticed that about four inches above my right ankle it relly gets hot on my leg and is very uncomfortable. Anyone had that happen to them?
Your supposed to wear pants when riding, Ron... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Went out for a little 50,mile trip today and found it to be a pretty nice machine. Ran cool as a cucumber except for the burning of my ankles through my boots. Gotta be some kind of deflector that's missing! After awhile all I would need is some BBQ sauce and I could have one foot for lunch and the other for supper. :stir: :stir:

·
Registered
253 Posts
Scouter-50 said:
Not that I don't trust a HD dealer to work on a BMW...but I would plan on changing the coolant A.S.A.P. It is not that big a job, just have someone around to help you hold the bike while you lean it to the right to "burp" the hoses. I did it at my first tech day and had lots of help. Everything worked and my 12 year old coolant was history.

Robert

Would love to read instructions on this. Clymer's manual has a very complex procedure to change coolant. I have done two 12K services but always skipped coolant change since it sounded very complex.

·
Registered
253 Posts
RonHolly said:
Went out for a little 50,mile trip today and found it to be a pretty nice machine. Ran cool as a cucumber except for the burning of my ankles through my boots. Gotta be some kind of deflector that's missing! After awhile all I would need is some BBQ sauce and I could have one foot for lunch and the other for supper. :stir: :stir:

think you need to ride faster :) The air will cool you a little.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
RonHolly said:
Gotta be someone else that has experienced this! Is there a remedy? This would be really bad on a long trip. I could pull out the front crusing pegs out but there has to be a better way.

I guess it would be good in winter time but Florida don't get too cold where I live.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.