BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, I have lurked here for a while now trying to decide if I should change the 1150RT for an LT. The decision was made after getting the offer of an LT with a £3,000 discount. So I could not refuse this offer and the new LT is now in the garage.
I have managed to put 1500 miles on the bike in 2 weeks although the weather was pretty poor. But the bike is amazing it is so comfortable in comparison to the RT. Although I did nearly 30,000 miles on it. The stereo,heated seats and the luggage capacity has won the day.And of course shmbo is over the moon with the pillion seat and heated back rest.
So I am of to play with the stereo .{still havent quite got the hang of it all yet}

·
Registered
7 Posts
Another new LT owner

Hi albamoto

Like your good self I have lurked here for a while now and last Saturday took delivery of a lovely Ocean Blue LT, seven months old, and only done three thousand miles and with loads of extra's, not had much chance to use it yet, but got a weeks hol next week so hoping to do a few hundred miles.

I'm in Stoke on Trent where abouts are you.

BigAl

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi BigAl, I am in Central Scotland so there is a good run between us :} I got the Graphite se model which seems to be as popular as the Ocean blue model, You can't beat a good discount or a nearly new LT to make them a bargain buy.Let the dealer or the 1st owner take the big price drop in the 1st year and it's smile's all the way to the bank. Hope you enjoy your holiday on the bike.

Albamoto

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
BigAl
Forgot to say I nearly bought an Ocean blue LTse myself, The dealer phoned me the day after I had agreed to buy my Graphite model, From what you are describing it might be the same bike ? Have fun.

·
Registered
7 Posts
albamoto

mine was bought as a private sale as advertised on the BM club website a couple of weeks ago,it won't get much use over the coming months but it was definitely worth buying it at the end of the so called motorcycling season,as i got what I think is a really good buy, I'd been looking for one for months but never been able to find one in the condition that suited so when this one came along I just had to have it. You did really well to get that much discount on a new one, I tried to get some discount on a new one and could never get more than a few hundred pounds and a free Sat Nav

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hello to you.
Good to hear you are happy with your bike.
I am only around a week away from getting my LT.
I thought about an RT as well. Cathy my wife loved the LT
so that tipped the balance.

I got a 04 model still brand new no miles on it. For around $12,000 less than the current model.
Sounded like a great deal.

Nick

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hello Nick, Once you get a pillion on the back of an LT there is no going back for them.Between the heated seat and stereo system it's a dream come true. I suggested to my wife that she could drive the bike and I could try the pillion but I don't think that is going to happen any time soon :}.
Glad to hear you got a great discount on your bike $12,000 is amazing. It is very hard to get a good amount of money of an LT in Britain. Your new 04 model should be the same as the current model as far as I am aware so I would have grabbed one also.

Albamoto

·
Registered
378 Posts
BigAl said:
a private sale as advertised on the BM club website a couple of weeks ago,
Ah HA!

That one - saw the ad in the journal and wondered who was flogging an LT at such a bargain price.

Now get yourself the HID dip and some extra lights. Don't bother with the PIAA's, just go to Halfords.

There are some spots there with blue lenses (they show white when on) for about £25 for a set. Just as good as PIAA. They fit under the tip over wings, or see BMR products for wing mirror mounts.

I've acquired loads of bits from my LT's (I'm on my third), so everything keeps being moved across.

I have Motolights on the brake calipers, the "blue" spots above under the mirrors (keyed for main beam) and Halfords fog lights under the tip over wings.

My rear light cluster is set up for three brake bulbs (the centre brake circuit isn't used by BMW for some reason), with the indicators converted to running lights - that's switchable, so come MOT time, I flick the switch and its back to a "normal" bike. That light clutser was on my 99 bike and dates from March 99 when it was made. It looks just as "new" on my 05 bike, despite having covered almost 120,000 miles.

For HID, I got mine from Nippy Normans, which is all good Phillips gear. He also says he gives a discount to BMW club members, so make sure you tell him you are.

Anyone ridden the R12RT for any distance? I had one for a week while they cured my rev counter (over tight wiring from the factiry was casuing an intermittent drop out). It was, quite litterally, a pain in the arse. Skittish, top heavy (27 litre tank up high), crap rider comfort, and harder to flick about than an LT (its the wider bars that makes it easy). I was only too glad to be back on the LT - and made the effrot to get back a day early to get my LT back.

·
Registered
50 Posts
albamoto
The 04 model in Australia is the one before the latest upgrades.
I still thought the price difference was worth it.
Time will tell. I'll let you now in a few weeks.

Nick

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nick,That's still a big saving on your bike like £5,000 pounds in britain. Superb, I hope it all goes well when get it.

Albamoto

·
Registered
351 Posts
Previous owner of my bike who had it from new took a good stuffing when he traded it in for a 1200RT .
He must of lost at least £5500 , mind you it had done 5000 miles .
It was just 11 months old when i bought it .

04 graphite

·
Registered
2 Posts
Junked the LT for a R1200RT

Traded my 03 Lt a while ago for a R1200RT, no regrets at all , dont think the bikes can be compared, its jumbos against spitfires ! cant say my pillion and I miss the LT at all, think the LT may suit the more generously proportioned rider better, such a chap may find the RT cramped, I had boxers before the LT, last one a R1100rt which I traded in for the LT, did 3000miles on the LT but could`nt get into it, way to heavy to be fun, maybe BMW will lighten it eventually, using the technology of the new k1200S/GT, but its gota lose a lot of flab, I think it`s some 250LBs heavier than the R1200RT.
One thing I particularly like about the new RT is its versatillity, being able to leave all the panniers at home on a solo trip and have a blast, like no lux tourer can, and then the next week, fully loaded 2500mile trip around France climbing up some real tight hairpins I would`nt dream of taking the LT up,
Certainly the top bike for me :) :) :) :)

·
Registered
378 Posts
Jumbo against spitfire - no. P38 Lightning to P51 perhaps, to be more accurate, FW189 to FW190.

Well, I had R11RT’s for 45,000 miles, and I’ve now got some 120.000 miles or so on LT’s, my current one being acquired in April 05 and has 24,000 miles so far.

The LT won’t flick as fast as an RT, but is still a capable bike, and in my opinion is far more comfortable.

I had an R12RT for a week and just couldn’t get on with it – the pitching up and down, riding ON it not IN it, and very twitchy.

Why take the panniers off to “blast”? I spent a month down in Southampton and would come home up the A31 – nice, twisty, fast road. When I was working near Gloucester, I did M40 and A40 – great road the A40 out of Oxford with bends.

The weight on the LT is low – I found the weight on the RT high, especially with a tank of fuel.

I really do think that your comment about it being way to heavy to be fun just isn’t accurate. I don’t like the motorway cruises, I like to throw by bikes around, and I find the LT to be so easy – wide bars, good feel, good clearance (on 04+ models).

If you like the RT – good luck, enjoy. We know what the LT is like.

Would I like more power? Yes – I’d like to have an LT with around 150bhp, ut the size and “bulk” just doesn’t bother me. I put an LT into London for 18 months – one of the easiest bikes to commute because people get out of your way, and out riding sports bikes on roundabouts is a hoot.

Niall

1 - 14 of 14 Posts