BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yay me! I finally installed my Hyperpro springs. Took me about 7-8 hours start to finish. Tony, I had no flex in the spring compressor and I did not use any grease. Both springs compressed quite easily. I don't know why your experience was different. Perhaps because mine is so low mileage there was no drag on the body of the shock. I also want to thank you for pointing out the grub screw on the preload adjuster. Anyway I am in bidness.
She rides like on rails with a little more road feel.

Robert

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Robert, glad you got it it done and like the result.

Front spring went fine when I did it, had my troubles during compression of the rear.

After walking through the process in my mind a couple of times, I suspect that the added resistance was due to NOT releasing the grub screw prior to compression, this resulting in the need to compress both the spring and the strut. Doing it again, I released the grub and the compression was much easier.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Definitely yay you, Robert. Based on some recent reading, prompted by some consistent scraping, I am investigating the hyperpro spring upgrade. I am wondering whether I want to try it myself or have the shop do it. I'm hesitant to try it myself, because I have no experience working on bike suspension and if it took you 7 hours, I assume it would take me at least that long.

Was there anything that you could have done differently to make the job go faster?

Thanks

Chris W.

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
Chris,

Bring the springs to our next tech session and maybe we can get Robert to
supervise. Probable date is Dec 1. I have a set already mounted if you want to
try before buying,

Dan

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
cwarren said:
Definitely yay you, Robert. Based on some recent reading, prompted by some consistent scraping, I am investigating the hyperpro spring upgrade. I am wondering whether I want to try it myself or have the shop do it. I'm hesitant to try it myself, because I have no experience working on bike suspension and if it took you 7 hours, I assume it would take me at least that long.

Was there anything that you could have done differently to make the job go faster?

Thanks

Chris W.
Chris, that time did include some futzing around with the fuel gauge sending unit. Maybe an hour or so. The job itself is not difficult just tedious what with all the tupperware and all. I was by myself other than asking the wife to pull the front wheel clear and to install the front doughnut since her hands were a lot smaller than mine. With help at a tech day I imagine that you could cut my time in half or even less. Take Dan up on his offer. I will try to show up when that occurs.

Robert

Robert

·
Registered
470 Posts
One of the best bangs for the bucks I have done on my LT.

·
Registered
158 Posts
+1 on the spring shock upgrade. put Wilbers on mine and it is a totally different bike. As stated, best bang for bucks.

Brian

·
Registered
245 Posts
Dan - I will buy the springs today. Also, I have subscribed to the south central forum - is that all I need to do to find out when/where the next tech session will be or is that info gonna be somewhere else?

Thanks!

Chris W.

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
cwarren said:
Dan - I will buy the springs today. Also, I have subscribed to the south central forum - is that all I need to do to find out when/where the next tech session will be or is that info gonna be somewhere else?

Thanks!

Chris W.
You're good. I will post it there later. Springs have been taking 3-4 weeks to come in.

dan

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
cwarren said:

Thanks!

Chris W.
What is this South Central Forum of which you speak? Is there a secret handshake or what?

Robert

·
Registered
245 Posts
Go to the forum, click on Forum Tools menu on the right hand menu at the top of the list of posts. Select "Subscribe to this forum" from the menu.

I've attached a screenshot (I think).

Chris W.

Attachments

·
Registered
152 Posts
Speakin'a shocks . Any experience here with Hagon shocks on an LT?

yeah I know Ohlin's & Wilburs are the shock of choice, but hard to justify spending almost as much for shocks as I paid for the bike....

My front one [stock] is weak, rear appears OK . Not crazy about buying used, from a bike with ?? miles and new OEM are way pricey as well.

I have a fork leak, r/side & plan to seal both forks, and at least do the front shock at that time.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Ron02LT said:
Speakin'a shocks . Any experience here with Hagon shocks on an LT?

yeah I know Ohlin's & Wilburs are the shock of choice, but hard to justify spending almost as much for shocks as I paid for the bike....

My front one [stock] is weak, rear appears OK . Not crazy about buying used, from a bike with ?? miles and new OEM are way pricey as well.

I have a fork leak, r/side & plan to seal both forks, and at least do the front shock at that time.
you most likely just need to replace the springs, lots of threads and pics on this forum

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
14wntr said:
Hey Tony, Im still waitin for that beer!
Still got your info hanging on my board... Started a new job blah blah blah

1 - 18 of 18 Posts