BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I was absent for a while looking for a nice LT to buy. Finally got it, it is a 2005 dark graphite, very nice and in good condition. Although I have an issue I've noticed in the 3 times I've ridden it. I live in Mexico and there are a lot of bumps for slowing down traffic. The bike is rather low and its bottom part scrapes or in worst cases, even hit them no matter how gently I try to cross them over. I wonder if this fact will cause significant damage to an important part of the bike and if there is anything in the market to protect it. Raising the bike is not an option for me because I have a short inseam and have a hard time in slow maneuvers with the heavy beast. Hardening suspension does not help a lot either. Actually, this bottom tray has already suffered important scrapes and it will be difficult to avoid more of this. I hope you can help me. Thanks.

·
BMW Guru
8,469 Posts
Congrats on the new bike. Those topas are tough, I've bottomed out a GS on them. I don't know of any after market skid plates. I would suggest just going as slow as possilbe over them. I've scraped my LT a few times. Don't think it hurts anything...

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
Make sure the tire pressure is 42 and around 48 rear. If you are lower than that, your bike will be lower to the ground, and the tires ware our a lot faster.

Bob

·
Registered
579 Posts
STOP & GO. I do a complete stop just before the front wheel hits the speed bump. Then power easy over the bump with the front wheel and speed up as the rear rides up and over. After a while you will know what height bumps make you bottom the skid plate which protects the transmission housing.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bad news

wilbar00c said:
STOP & GO. I do a complete stop just before the front wheel hits the speed bump. Then power easy over the bump with the front wheel and speed up as the rear rides up and over. After a while you will know what height bumps make you bottom the skid plate which protects the transmission housing.
If that skid plate covers the transmission housing, I beleive that's bad news for me, isn't it??, do you think it is fragile enough to fail in one of those hits?? Thankyou for your help.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts