BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 127 Posts

·
Registered
4,253 Posts
It was running then it shut off
Not an expert but looking at that printout, I might think there was some wiring harness damage somewhere.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
It was running then it shut off

I will have a longer answer about the GS911 data and error codes later this evening, but before I do, can you be more clear about the data condition:
1) was any sensor wires (to harness) unplugged when you did the GS911 test?

2) did the engine started normally - how long did it ran - was it warm or cold when you started it?

3) in your answer above, do you mean the engine shut-off / cut-out and will not start anymore?

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had everything off but the gastank. The bike started, ran rich then shut off. Hard to start after that.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Started normal when I first started it. The fans always have kicked on early. The bike gradually got worse over time then shut down completely

·
Registered
787 Posts
Wondering if someone can tell me what this means
Just for your info, if you haven't figured it out by now, SAILOR is the GS911 genius. This site has many knowledgeable guys that after being on this site for 8 years, continue to amaze me with their wrenching skills and knowledge. You have come to the right place. Good luck with your issue.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Wondering if someone can tell me what this means
SORRY, but this will be long, so read carefully ;-)

Top of screen is just data about the Motronic ECU version and a few info bits - nothing special here. Based on part no "7659048" I am assuming your K1200LT is probably a 2001-2003. Otherwise, if it is earlier YEAR, it would mean it has been retrofitted with the later ECU having the so-called "brown-wire" capability for 2nd fuel map. PLEASE CONFIRM YEAR..

Lower section of report is all engine system faults found. Some of these could be present now or they could have been encountered in past ride (hence the wording "currently present: Yes / No"). All ECU faults stay in memory (including number of occurence) until you EITHER do any of these:
1) unplug main battery for 15 minutes of more
2) remove EFI system fuse for 15 minutes or more (even with ignition OFF)
3) clear / erase all faults using GS911 menu option (or dealer's computer)

In lower section I see several faults that are related to a problem / behavior you had discussed earlier in another thread here:
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/k1200lt/145946-crazy-fuel-related-problem.html

Keep in mind that some of the listed faults will be reported if you run GS911 with any sensor unplugged (or plug not fully in).
For example, the "277: engine temp circuit..." could be caused by a defective engine coolant sensor -OR- it could be caused by a bad connection (or disconnected coolant sensor plug).
The "5381: idle-switch, short circuit to earth" AND the "1285: idle-regulator..." both could mean you tried to set the TPS without following proper sequence in GS911 menu (setting the TPS requires you to remove TVA at a certain point). Both of there are related to TVA (idle-actuator).

The most important fault code, related to your original problem in previous thread, is the "368 lambda control, upper adaption limit reached" with 66 occurences. In general this is the result of a very lean mixture condition for which the EFI system could not compensate (within allowable range). This is just the symptoms / results that something else is wrong: it could quite probably be a low fuel-pressure (damaged fuel hose inside tank, weak fuel pump) OR it could also be caused by incorrect data coming from other sensors. The EFI is a bit confused and tries to compensate by enriching with more injection time (within a certain limits).

Debugging this remotely without riding and seeing the bike is not easy. GS911 gives us an X-RAY of the internals faults, but is cannot tell us the exact single cause OR the solution. If only one sensor is defective, it is easy to act on GS911 fault readout, but in your case, based on this report, I suspect a combination of factors. I do not have the full context of everything you did since your problem began - remember that Motronic has a memory of ALL OLD faults.

--------------------------------------------------------
WHAT ELSE CAN WE DO TO FIND REAL CAUSE:
--------------------------------------------------------
To make this troubleshooting a bit easier I suggest you let the bike cool (engine cold after 8 hours). Make sure EVERY engine sensors is plugged and inserted fully: 2 important one are around the Throttle-bodies (TVA and TPS) and 2 other on left side of ABS-unit (O2 sensor, engine coolant sensor).
Also, use GS911 interace to clear ALL current engine fault codes. The idea is that we start fresh with next engine run / test.

AFTER this you run engine on center-stand with GS911 plugged in "real time" data logging mode - then GS911 can generate a file that will give me a full picture of every sensor data while engine was running.

If this "static" test on center-stand is not enough, with the new RED GS911 we can also do a test while you ride with GS911 plugged and tuck away under seat (the unit has internal memory storage for data log). My older GS911 YELLOW unit cannot easily do this while riding as I would have to have a small laptop plugged while I ride (hidden is side-case). Hence, the 1st trial run is always done running engine on center-stand with a PC plugged for data log. Your RED unit will need an interface screen to start the log process, but after this it can accumulate data within its own memory.

I cannot show you exact screen shots for the new RED unit as you are getting slightly different screen interface than my YELLOW GS911. But if you follow these attached screen shots and instruction below, you should have a head start to learn to use the “real-time” data log method:

SUGGESTED PROCEDURE TO FOLLOW:
There is so many variables from machine-to-machine that it is important for me to gather this data in same conditions to minimize variables. If possible, when you have time and bike is cold (at least 8 hours after stop), could you follow these steps:

(1) Install K1200LT on center stand (do not start yet)
(2) Plug GS911 into bike diagnostic plug, then into PC

(3) Start software and go into menu "realtime values" + "Log to CSV" button. Use defaults for all items. Choose / type a filename or use the default filename offered.

(4) Start your K1200LT (engine cold) and let it warm up. AFTER about 2 minute of warm-up do occasional throttle twist to raise RPM to 2000 (4 to 5 seconds) and 4000 RPM (2-3 seconds). After these short RPM changes let it go back to idle for at least 30 secs in between.

(5) Stop "log-to file" , then stop engine when you reach just above half-way point on the temp gauge on dash. The radiator fans should only start if you let it run until it is quite above the half-way mark (not required for this test).

NOTE: It is IMPORTANT not to touch throttle during start as it should idle by itself. If it does not, then do what is required and let me know when you send the file.

See attached image for menu items in YELLOW unit GS911 software. Screen may vary a bit depending on your software version.

Attachments

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
OK sailor! Thanks so much. When I get home in the morning I'll hook it back up and send another readout. I'll unplug the battery tonight

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
OK sailor! Thanks so much. When I get home in the morning I'll hook it back up and send another readout. I'll unplug the battery tonight
Make sure battery has a good charge before you attempt static run to log data.

A weak charging system will show in the log as I can see several data colums including current system voltage (with alternator pushing). If you follow the previous described procedure (connect GS911 and start the log BEFORE starting engine), I can also see the static voltage with Battery at rest in the log.

Will read you tomorrow morning or a bit later...

Reactions: garage monster

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Having difficulty saving the log. Don't know what I'm doing just yet. I couldn't keep the bike running till it got warm. It shut off after a few minutes. Fans kicked on and it started acting up. Shut off then wouldn't start. It's been doing this for a while but gradually got worse. Here's a pic of the fault codes with everything hooked up

Attachments

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Having difficulty saving the log. Don't know what I'm doing just yet. I couldn't keep the bike running till it got warm. It shut off after a few minutes. Fans kicked on and it started acting up. Shut off then wouldn't start. It's been doing this for a while but gradually got worse. Here's a pic of the fault codes with everything hooked up
Like it is explained in description, you can disreguard the 821 and 901 fault codes (first and last) as these are normal when engine is not rotating. HOWEVER, we can see that the fault "277: Engine Temperature...." appears again in addition to the radiator fans bad behavior you have specified. Until I have the full data log from run, this is the 1st hint / tip to research so I will have you do a static test with OhmMeter on the Engine-Coolant sensor.

This test requires only a OHM (resistance) function on any good multimeter (range needed is roughly 150 to 6000 Ohms depending on engine temp). You do this test with Ignition OFF and the coolant=temp-sensor unplugged from harness. See this PICASSA photo album to follow procedure. Same shape sensor connector on your K1200LT as in photo album, HOWEVER the connector is lower on left side of black sub-frame.
https://picasaweb.google.com/101489741192933663432/BMWK1200RSEngineTemperatureSensor

Since you cannot fully warm up the engine (if it keeps quiting), you may want to borrow a hair dryer to try to send some heat around the sensor base to see if resistance will vary as it should. CAUTION: Many rubber parts and wires around there so do NOT use anything that would generate more heat than a Hair-Dryer.

-------------------------------------------------------------
Temp (deg. C / F) Resistance (Ohms)
-------------------------------------------------------------
4 ........................................... 5700
8 ........................................... 4000
10 ......................................... 3880
14 ......................................... 3290
17 / 63 ................................... 2900
20 / 68 ................................... 2570
30 / 86 ................................... 1760
40 ......................................... 1219
50 ......................................... 876
70 ......................................... 454
80 / 176 ... (default fail mode) ... 342
85 / 185 ... (Rad thermostat) ...... 296
90 .......................................... 261
105 / 221 ...(fans activated temp)... 187
115 / 239 ...(dash warning light).... 143

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks sailor. I have to run my son somewhere then get some sleep to work tonight. I'll try again in the morning. I'm off all weekend, should be able to get a lot more info

1 - 20 of 127 Posts