BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I read all the threads about getting 50 I thought "Bull", no way. Well I saw the light yesterday, and the BC reading also. I was riding with a friend who was on a 19 year old Harley and didn't get much above 65 MPH for 297 miles. We were both two up and traveled from sea level up to 6000ft. and back. My bike is an 06 LT with 25,700 miles on it. I was using 87 octane ARCO too ! I got 273 miles from one tank.

OK guys, I guess you who have done it were telling the truth. :D

·
Registered
332 Posts
How did you determine your mileage? Did you divide the actual miles ridden by the # of gallons needed to fill your tank, or was it from a reading of the BC?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just the BC. I didn't have enough money to fill the tank when I did it.

·
Registered
493 Posts
DakotaDude said:
How did you determine your mileage? Did you divide the actual miles ridden by the # of gallons needed to fill your tank, or was it from a reading of the BC?
Just a comment. I took my mileage for several months using miles traveled divided by the gallons that went into the tank. I found the BC to be dead on accurate so I just trust it now.

I'm getting 40mpg now but I travel mostly at 75 mph (GPS, 80 on the speedo.) My average BC speed is usually around 52 mph. I assume that is why I can't hit 50 mpg :).

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
dglenn1 said:
Just a comment. I took my mileage for several months using miles traveled divided by the gallons that went into the tank. I found the BC to be dead on accurate so I just trust it now.
Same here. Within a couple decimal points. But then again, I didn't have my teacher/wife check my math. :D

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yea it was hard to keep the throttle under control. I mean no more than 65 ?? But I didn't want to run away from my friend and his wife. It's amazing how many things you see when you ride at sane speeds. :histerica

So the tradeoff is keep it under 65 and get 50 MPG or haul ass and have a good time....hmmm. Luckily my friend usually rides his 1800 Wing when we go places so I won't be tortured like this again for awhile.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,553 Posts
Likewise if I cruise below 3,000 RPM I too can get the BC to read 50 +, but where is the fun in that?

·
Registered
910 Posts
jzeiler said:
Likewise if I cruise below 3,000 RPM I too can get the BC to read 50 +, but where is the fun in that?
:D DUly noted.
Its like hearing a muffled scream versus a full IN YOUR EAR GO yes faster dont you dare stop now..
er what was the question?

:D
oh yeh never saw 50 mPG for more than a couple of miles.. :histerica

·
Registered
809 Posts
I haven't measured 50 mpg since I chipped it out and installed the Remus. Love that sound!

·
Registered
160 Posts
jzeiler said:
We all have our own definitions of fun. I tried keeping the rev's high but I could only stand it for a few hours. If for some reason I had to ride with the engine screaming like that all the time I'd give up riding.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Good for you ...I cant seem to get better then 46 mpg but most of the time i run between 43 and 44 i guess i could slow down a bit to see what i get :rotf:

·
Registered
368 Posts
After reading this thread, I tried my best to reach 50mpg, but failed :rolleyes:

This weekend I rode two-up for 600 miles (300 to reach the seaside + 300 back home)

On Friday evening I kept the cruise control stuck to 75mph for almost 3 hours and a half (GPS measured... about 80mph on the speedo) and reached 47mpg (measured when refilling after 280 miles). BC was telling 1-2% more on mileage (I reset the BC when I refill).
No traffic, all on a flat, straight freeway with no stops except the one to have dinner and gas. Temperature 100F, V-Stream windscreen about 80% down, winglets 30% open.

I believe that's amongst the highest mileage I've ever seen (measured on refill): I've occasionally seen >50mpg on the BC when riding on country roads at 55-65mph but I've never rode a full tank at that speed to perform an accurate measure. Other times I've seen 46-47mpg at refill, so I think that's about my best ;)

One curiosity:
On the way back, I've set the cruise control to 81mph (legal speed in Italy, GPS measured) and had also a flawless ride (no traffic, no stop-n-go), but scored only 40-41mpg. It's amazing how much mileage difference I got, for just +6mph.

·
Premium Member
7,677 Posts
Corrado68 said:
After reading this thread, I tried my best to reach 50mpg, but failed :rolleyes:

This weekend I rode two-up for 600 miles (300 to reach the seaside + 300 back home)

On Friday evening I kept the cruise control stuck to 75mph for almost 3 hours and a half (GPS measured... about 80mph on the speedo) and reached 47mpg (measured when refilling after 280 miles). BC was telling 1-2% more on mileage (I reset the BC when I refill).
No traffic, all on a flat, straight freeway with no stops except the one to have dinner and gas. Temperature 100F, V-Stream windscreen about 80% down, winglets 30% open.

I believe that's amongst the highest mileage I've ever seen (measured on refill): I've occasionally seen >50mpg on the BC when riding on country roads at 55-65mph but I've never rode a full tank at that speed to perform an accurate measure. Other times I've seen 46-47mpg at refill, so I think that's about my best ;)

One curiosity:
On the way back, I've set the cruise control to 81mph (legal speed in Italy, GPS measured) and had also a flawless ride (no traffic, no stop-n-go), but scored only 40-41mpg. It's amazing how much mileage difference I got, for just +6mph.
Well, the power required to overcome drag due to motion through air is a function of the velocity cubed. So, if you go 10% faster you need ~33% more power to do so, all else being equal. Since all else isn't equal (engine efficiency varies with RPM, etc.), you can't go only by this relationship, but at higher speeds air drag is the dominant force the engine has to overcome so this is a decent first order approximation.

I generally have to stay at 60 MPH or less to achieve 50+ MPG. Once I go above 60, the mileage drops like a rock as you say.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I see your point, but that's not happening with my car (a BMW 320 diesel touring).

I usually get 40 mpg on average out of it, but the mileage shown is highly dependant on driving situation (stop-n-go traffic or freeway) and not much on freeway speeds (it's going from 47 to 45 mpg when you go from 75 to 85 mph).

Probably the car has better aerodynamics at such speeds, whereas the bikes picks up a lot of turbulence after 75mph

·
Registered
41 Posts
Just took my 09 LT on a trip down HWY 101 from Washington to Oregon 500+ miles round trip. Rode down with a group of 8 mostly speed limit or a bit less. Got 55 MPGs. Rode back with a group of 3 still mostly speed limit due to traffic but some spirited driving, got 57 MPGs. Amazing, the guys on the Harleys had to stop 2 times for gas, I just pulled to the side and waited for them.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts