BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looks like a bunch of sausages sewn into a vest!

About a year ago I got this wild hair to have a cooling vest. Figured evaporative cooling would be the least expensive and would be effective in the dry western climate.

Found instructions on the web, bought the stuff, and read and read and re-read the damned instructions. Pretty sure the instructions to replace the clutch on an LT would be easier to visualize. Finally gave up on the instructions and just sewed it up. Finished it today and took it out for a spin with ambient air temp at 87*F.

Materials required

Unbleached muslin
Hydrophyllic beads (used to mix with potting soil to retain moisture, bought at Lowes)
Some flat ribbony sort of stuff to sew to the edges and around the neck hole.

I have less than $15 in the materials and could sew up another in about an hour and a half if I had help stuffing the pockets.

Anybody interested in a picture and a few lines of instructions?

BTW, I was disappointed that the temp wasn't 100*F to really test it. Rode for 2 hrs and skin was very cool and comfortable. This may be the solution for warm weather riding for me.

Loren

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
:worthless

it's not something we need over this side of the pond, but would love to see it.

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
Yes, I'd like to see pics and a description. How about a link to where you got the ideas?

We're headed for PHX Arizona and a bike rental in August.
Your cooling vest sounds like just the ticket for us.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
sounds like a great idea, I have one that I ride with almost every day, but it only lasts about 35 minutes before another stop to soak is needed. have you figured out how long yours lasts in midday riding yet?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Sounds great!!!
Let's see it puleeze!!

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Pics would be great, also a little more information as to how it works. Is this something that you soak or is it a wicking/insulating device?

·
Registered
313 Posts
I bought a Veskimo last year and it has been the greatest farkle I've ever purchased. It works great whether humid or arid and keeps me cool for just over two hours on block ice and about an hour and half with cubed ice.. Runs off the ship's power and you can get it with either a camel back, 4 or 9 quart cooler. People sure look at you funny when you pull up to a stop and sit there with your riding suit all zipped up and all the vents closed. Outside looking in they must think your crazy. Inside looking out, I'm as cool and comfortable as they are inside their air conditioned cages.

But I do admire your pioneering spirit

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,459 Posts
pushin9s said:
I bought a Veskimo last year and it has been the greatest farkle I've ever purchased. It works great whether humid or arid and keeps me cool for just over two hours on block ice and about an hour and half with cubed ice.. Runs off the ship's power and you can get it with either a camel back, 4 or 9 quart cooler. People sure look at you funny when you pull up to a stop and sit there with your riding suit all zipped up and all the vents closed. Outside looking in they must think your crazy. Inside looking out, I'm as cool and comfortable as they are inside their air conditioned cages.

Hey, Greg - what model Veskimo didja pony up for? I'm still looking at both the Cool Shirt outfit or the Veskimo system. Friend of mine has the Cool Shirt system - he with his, and his wife on the pillion with hers - and sez they're good to go for several hours. I did a static try-on with his and could tell that I'll be an owner of one system or the other as soon as my stimulus funds are found!!

I'm thinking I would like the vest type, rather than the pullover tee that my friend has. Hate to mess up the coif, don'tcha know!! :rolleyes: :) Guess the 9 qt unit would work in ole Toad's trunk - is that the size you opted for? And maybe the backpack to wear at the flea markets or garage sales?? ;)

Anyway, Greg - just wonderin' what model you got, since I know you're well pleased with it - expecially in the heat wave y'all are experiencing these days. TIA.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Dick said:
I'll be an owner of one system or the other as soon as my stimulus funds are found!!
Haha! That's funny! Good luck with that.... :D

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
IF I lived in a part of the country where the heat was regularly a problem I would have one of these vests too. The majority of the houses where I live do not have central AC because it just isn't needed. My ass! The truth is that we generally have very few days when the temp is a problem. Usually fewer than 10 to 15 days a year. The humidity is also blessedly light except of course when it is raining which is the other 350 to 355 days a year!

I have everything I need to make a product similar to the Veskimo but still looking for inexpensive quick disconnects that won't leak when you disconnect them. Plastic preferred. Any ideas? My hose diameter is 1/4".

Loren

pushin9s said:

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Instructions for building are posted under Evaporative cooling vest instruction

Loren

·
Registered
313 Posts
Dick said:
Hey, Greg - what model Veskimo didja pony up for? I'm still looking at both the Cool Shirt outfit or the Veskimo system. Friend of mine has the Cool Shirt system - he with his, and his wife on the pillion with hers - and sez they're good to go for several hours. I did a static try-on with his and could tell that I'll be an owner of one system or the other as soon as my stimulus funds are found!!

I'm thinking I would like the vest type, rather than the pullover tee that my friend has. Hate to mess up the coif, don'tcha know!! :rolleyes: :) Guess the 9 qt unit would work in ole Toad's trunk - is that the size you opted for? And maybe the backpack to wear at the flea markets or garage sales?? ;)

Anyway, Greg - just wonderin' what model you got, since I know you're well pleased with it - expecially in the heat wave y'all are experiencing these days. TIA.
//Sorry for the temporary hijack folks//
Dick, I opted for the 4.4 quart cooler with the vest. It straps nicely on the back seat with a bungee net if you're solo. If you have Honey Bunny with you, you'd have to bungee it to the top case rack I guess. I thought of mounting it in the top case itself, but the hoses would require me to drill a large hole in the side so they can pass through. I don't like drilling holes in my Tupperware...it's just a character flaw of mine.

The hoses that came with my Veskimo were too long and kept getting in my way. I called Kurt at Veskimo and he cheerfully made me some shorter hoses to my specification without additional charge. He's really a great guy to work with and very eager to keep his customers happy. I believe he's also working on a duty cycle timer so that the pump doesn't run continuously on those "warm" days when we don't need it on all the time. Look up his number on their website and give him a call. You won't be disappointed.

Again, I must add that I get no compensation or remuneration from endorsing this product. I remain a happy and satisfied customer just trying to spread the wealth.

//End of hijack. Thank you all for your patience.//

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Re: Finally finished my cooling vest...where's it at?

wa1200lt said:
Instructions for building are posted under Evaporative cooling vest instruction

Loren
Loren, whatever became of your project? Were you able to fabricate something similar to the veskimo?

I'm interested, especially considering the costs of the veskimo. :wave

·
Registered
476 Posts
I don't live where it's 100+ degrees any more (i.e. Australia) but when it gets hot up here I use a Frog Toggs Chilly Pad. It's essentially a scarf that you soak in water, drape it around your neck and over your chest, then put on the protective gear. For $15 it works great! It was 115 in the sun two days ago here, and I rode with the chilly pad, and I was very comfortable indeed. If I lived where it was over 80 every day, I'd be looking at the vests etc. but for here the Chilly Pad works fine!

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Jeff, it surprised me to see this post resurrected. I have a good supply (20?) of the heat exchange pads, I have figured out that the quick disconnects between the pump and the pads are available from the pc/ server world. Water cooled cpu's have tubing of appropriate size. The pumps are easy. Duty cycle would be my only worry here.

In short, no. I haven't built one yet but have completed enough research that if it should ever get hot here I could put one together fairly quickly. We have been unseasonably cool here this summer and I don't think we have had more than 3 days in the 80's. Plenty of rain but no heat. I like it this way.........

Loren

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Jeff, it surprised me to see this post resurrected. I have a good supply (20?) of the heat exchange pads, I have figured out that the quick disconnects between the pump and the pads are available from the pc/ server world. Water cooled cpu's have tubing of appropriate size. The pumps are easy. Duty cycle would be my only worry here.

In short, no. I haven't built one yet but have completed enough research that if it should ever get hot here I could put one together fairly quickly. We have been unseasonably cool here this summer and I don't think we have had more than 3 days in the 80's. Plnenty of rain but no heat. I like it this way.........

Loren

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
wa1200lt said:

In short, no. I haven't built one yet but have completed enough research that if it should ever get hot here I could put one together fairly quickly. We have been unseasonably cool here this summer and I don't think we have had more than 3 days in the 80's. Plnenty of rain but no heat. I like it this way.........

Loren
Yes, I have a tendency to revive old threads. This one isn't even all that old. :D
I did read your other thread where you had included the instructions for you cooling vest.
It's a neat idea, but I'm afraid it would dry out too quickly here in the Texas summers. We used those headbands/neckbands w/ the same technology, and they didn't last near as long as the company claimed. I've used them in the midwest and Iraq, and they're only so-so.

Are you saying you made 20 of these vests as shown in your other thread? Are you looking to sell any of them? I might be interested.

I am really interested in you other idea- something similar to the veskimos. I visited that website, and that guy is proud of his stuff. Does't even off free shipping, which most retailers offer for just their jackets. Anyway, the vest looks to be the most complicated. that pump and associated plumbing is just too easy. Thanks for the tip regarding the quick disconnects. I hadn't thought of the PC world, and I'd imagine they're trying to ensure the fittings don't leak when disconnected.

You seem to have a nice problem concerning your mild summer temps., but I don't think I'd get much riding in w/ all the rain you've alluded to. I guess I'm more of a fair weather rider.

Please keep us informed of your projects. :wave

1 - 17 of 17 Posts