BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
36,000 miles in 36 months of trouble free travel and commuting. This morning while making a slow tight left turn she took a dive just minor scratches, injured pride and a good work out getting her upright. Never imagined how heavy this bike is.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
I dropped mine - on my wife! She got her foot caught under the left side bag. I ain't a strong guy, but the bike came back up REALLY quick. Felt like a real dumbass over that one.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I dropped mine this morning, pulled into the driveway, which is pretty steep, up hill, I tried to creep up while clicking the garage door opener in my left hand, lost momentum, and over she went.I had never tried this before and certainly won't again!! Luckily it was 6 am and no one was awake to see it happen. I have dropped her before and got her up pretty easily, but this time she was on an incline, I couldn't get her back in gear, she was on her left side, and as I tried to get her up she kept sliding backward down the hill scraping the rear tip bar and chrome exhaust cover as she went. I finally went in the garage and got a piece of rope to tie the hand brake with and finally got her up. I have now put a small bungee strap in the top case just in case I ever find myself in a simular situation.

·
Registered
929 Posts
TVPearson said:
. I have now put a small bungee strap in the top case just in case I ever find myself in a simular situation.
Man! Another piece of equipment to have to carry...with enough time and situations, I think I will run out of room!:rotf:

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Join the long gray line.

·
Premium Member
4,883 Posts
My guess is that dropping is something that happens in the first year or so, but after that, it's pretty rare. This is the only bike I have ever dropped and it only happened when I was stopped or at a crawling speed. It's just so top heavy and very unforgiving if you don't pay attention.

Curious how many have dropped it after the learning curve? Hope I'm not jinxing myself!

·
Registered
3,330 Posts

·
Human Behaviour Analyst
267 Posts
solorider said:
36,000 miles in 36 months of trouble free travel and commuting. This morning while making a slow tight left turn she took a dive just minor scratches, injured pride and a good work out getting her upright. Never imagined how heavy this bike is.
Only question I have is -- what took you so long !!? :)

·
Registered
313 Posts
fpmlt said:
I dropped mine - on my wife! She got her foot caught under the left side bag. I ain't a strong guy, but the bike came back up REALLY quick. Felt like a real dumbass over that one.
My question is: "How did you know where to put the wife for success?" Was it trial and error or did you just get lucky the first time? :D

As for feeling "like a real dumbass", I wouldn't lose sleep. These bikes are pretty forgiving. ;)

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Truth be known, and I'll deny this if it ever comes up again, as the bike was going over, I yelled, "Save the bike, throw yourself under it!!!". And she did. Wanna know why I married her?

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
ibbones said:
For the wife or the bike?
Let's try the bike first (instead of carrying an extra bungee cord to hold the front brake down).

However, if the wife is screaming in pain due to the drop on her ankle, ........ who knows

My luck, I would keep the tape/bungee in the compartment on the down side anyway.

·
Registered
596 Posts
I carry a grip lock with me for other reasons, but it would work as well

www.grip-lock.com

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
fpmlt said:
Truth be known, and I'll deny this if it ever comes up again, as the bike was going over, I yelled, "Save the bike, throw yourself under it!!!". And she did. Wanna know why I married her?

Does she have any sisters ?????? :histerica

1 - 14 of 14 Posts