BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lonestar BMW replaced my steering "ball joint" and I installed it on Misty then completed all my little things she needed..

- Front shock rubber bushings
- Oil/filter
- gearbox
- final drive
- brake flush (yearly)
- Coolant replace
- replace Rad. cap...
- fix plastic trim in several locations

I then ran the bike to warm up tonight.. only around neighborhood.. less than a mile.. noticed a few things..

- Front end has NEVER felt this good.. always had a "clicking" / thumping..
- brakes feel new again...
- shifting is smooth.. bike rolls so good...

- now,...two things I noticed..

first.. clutch "engagement" point seemed to vary... maybe I got some air in line when flushing clutch??? I never saw it happen..

second.. when fans engaged (pretty quick after flush) the "bar was about 2/3 up..." when it did, I got a fog of antifreeze out of the left vent.. I thought I'd cleaned out the spilled Antifreeze... but maybe I didn't after all.

Anyone have these two things happen?

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
I could smell anti-freeze for quite a while after I changed my fluids. I too thought I'd flushed all the spilled fluids away, but the smell lasted for much longer than I would have expected. I went nuts trying to find a leak, but there were none to be found. It finally went away - or maybe all my fluid's gone?

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
+1.

I don't think I spilled ANY antifreeze when I changed mine. Certainly none high enough on the engine to heat up and cause that tell tale "Bit O' Honey" antifreeze smell. My theory is that the radiator cap took a little time to seal. It was the only thing opened up high enough on the engine to allow a leak to touch a hot surface. I watched the fluid level closely, never had to top up.

Loren

fpmlt said:
I could smell anti-freeze for quite a while after I changed my fluids. I too thought I'd flushed all the spilled fluids away, but the smell lasted for much longer than I would have expected. I went nuts trying to find a leak, but there were none to be found. It finally went away - or maybe all my fluid's gone?

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,997 Posts
The anti-freeze smell will go away maybe a couple of weeks of riding. That's how long it takes on mine each time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts