BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After months and months and months, the rear wheel anti lock / speedometer sensor and cable has arrived from Chicago BMW. (the delay is not totally their fault as the part had to come from Germany) The question is, as I'm not eager to drag the 2002 LT over to the local deal for them to charge me $100, to clear all the error codes that may be lurking in the moronic, I seem to recall that disconnecting the battery for something like an hour or three would have the same effect. I do understand about after reconnecting the battery needing to reset the open and closed throttle movement limits. Perhaps someone can confirm my recollection. Thanks.

Karl Murphy

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,456 Posts
kmurphy165 said:
After months and months and months, the rear wheel anti lock / speedometer sensor and cable has arrived from Chicago BMW. (the delay is not totally their fault as the part had to come from Germany) The question is, as I'm not eager to drag the 2002 LT over to the local deal for them to charge me $100, to clear all the error codes that may be lurking in the moronic, I seem to recall that disconnecting the battery for something like an hour or three would have the same effect. I do understand about after reconnecting the battery needing to reset the open and closed throttle movement limits. Perhaps someone can confirm my recollection. Thanks.

Karl Murphy
Service and Technical booklet quote: "Disconnecting the battery clears all of the entries stored in the Motronic control module (error messages or settings, for instance). The loss of settings can temporarily cause the engine to run roughly when it is restarted." And then it explains the resetting of the TPS, which you already know about.

BTW - for the dealer just to fire up the Motronic wizard shouldn't be over 15-30 minutes labor charge, unless they have a minimum. I'd kinda like to know what error codes, etc., lived in the Motronic since last checked. Butt, if it's 100 bones in your 'hood, then I might just use the booklet quote.

Good luck, Karl. Happy Memorial weekend to ya.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dick said:
Service and Technical booklet quote: "Disconnecting the battery clears all of the entries stored in the Motronic control module (error messages or settings, for instance). The loss of settings can temporarily cause the engine to run roughly when it is restarted." And then it explains the resetting of the TPS, which you already know about.

BTW - for the dealer just to fire up the Motronic wizard shouldn't be over 15-30 minutes labor charge, unless they have a minimum. I'd kinda like to know what error codes, etc., lived in the Motronic since last checked. Butt, if it's 100 bones in your 'hood, then I might just use the booklet quote.

Good luck, Karl. Happy Memorial weekend to ya.
Thanks, Dick. Thanks for the confirmation, Dick. Yep when all of this first came up, I called Northern Colorado Ducati and BMW and was told it was $95 for a diagnostic. I responded that I didn't need a full blown diagnostic, just to read the error codes and then wipe the moronic. Shoot, my digital engine performance monitor in the Super Focus can do it in 5 minutes. But they said that reading the codes and wiping the errors was the diagnostic! In my poor ass world, a $100 bucks buys a lot of indulgences so I won't be going down that road if I can help it.

Thanks for the good wishes. With my negative mechanical karma I'm sure to need them. Right now Las Vegas is posting less than even money the new sensor will work and 1 in 3 I'll be able to get the tupperware back on. They won't even take odds on the bike actually starting.

Happy Memorial to you too, Dick.

Karl

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
grifscoots said:
It's about time you got back on the road again, you rode hard, recalcitrant old fart!
You forgot about the deadbeat old geezer part, Griff. But thanks for the good wishes? With the price of gasoline going higher than the temperature in a politician's campaign promises, I think I'm gonna want what the LT can do for fuel economy. At least until winter and the roads ice up. Now if it would only burn 85 octane regular without grenading.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts