BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What have they done to improve the reliability of the final drives on these new models?

With the new motor putting out much more horse power than the old LT I would think they would have to design a new heavy duty and bullet proof Final Drive.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
268 Posts
Manufacturers don't generally give out this sort of information. If you look at the FD on the K16's, it's visually different from all other FD's in use on their current bikes; the middle hole is gone, which is a source of occasional leaks, leading to many reported "failures"... Time will tell if this design is improved. There's another thread just like this one in this forum... check it out and all the posted speculations.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,879 Posts
fluffy said:
Manufacturers don't generally give out this sort of information. If you look at the FD on the K16's, it's visually different from all other FD's in use on their current bikes; the middle hole is gone, which is a source of occasional leaks, leading to many reported "failures"... Time will tell if this design is improved. There's another thread just like this one in this forum... check it out and all the posted speculations.

Which thread is that? I'm having difficulty in finding it.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,879 Posts
I almost thanked you! You got me once.........
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
519 Posts
....and what percentage of the decade+ of LT's produced, have final drive issues?
 

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
Joined
·
8,601 Posts
MrBreeze said:
....and what percentage of the decade+ of LT's produced, have final drive issues?
The figure that has been quoted over the years is 4% so that means that 96% have NOT had a failure :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,408 Posts
In some of the initial release PR stuff, BMWAG stated that the new FD design (the left-side "holely" drives, also used on the right on the hexheads) had been "upgraded" to handle the K16's torque. No details provided, of course :(

That said, after a couple teething problems with the new drive design a few years ago (seals primarily, plus hubs on the very first drives (on the then-new R12GS) not having enough interference fit to stay fixed in place), it's been *very* rare to hear of any gear or bearing issues with the new drives, only the occassional weeping outer seal. Not surprising, the new drive design has quite a bit different bearing arrangements, and apparently are no longer as sensitive to whether Hans had too many steins at lunch before improperly pre-loaded the bearings during assembly.
 

·
IBR# 366
Joined
·
16,551 Posts
It's not a preload issue like on the LT, because the new design doesn't use the preload shims at all. But it can still be a bearing failure, like my first Slant/4 FD failure, which had a definite crunching sound:



And my second Slant/4 FD failure was definitely an excessively loose rear wheel, also indicating a bearing failure, not a seal failure. I've also heard of a few Slant/4 FD's loosing the input pinion bearing rather than the large main bearing.

But BMW swears that it's all better now, if only you dump those older, obsolete bikes and buy one of their latest-and-greatest-guranteed-not-to-fail-this-time bikes. :bmw:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,408 Posts
meese said:
It's not a preload issue like on the LT, because the new design doesn't use the preload shims at all. But it can still be a bearing failure, like my first Slant/4 FD failure, which had a definite crunching sound:



And my second Slant/4 FD failure was definitely an excessively loose rear wheel, also indicating a bearing failure, not a seal failure. I've also heard of a few Slant/4 FD's loosing the input pinion bearing rather than the large main bearing.

But BMW swears that it's all better now, if only you dump those older, obsolete bikes and buy one of their latest-and-greatest-guranteed-not-to-fail-this-time bikes. :bmw:
I didn't say they were Meese-proof :D But at least the failure rate has dropped back down to (or below) the airhead FD failure rate (which is nostalgically remembered as being bulletproof, although it really wasn't).
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top