BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning there is a big puddle of oil under my rear wheel. I wonder what the problem c:mad:uld be?

·
Registered
574 Posts
Rub it's nose in it...maybe it will stop.

Gotta laugh or you'll cry. Sorry to hear it. Hope it's not too costly.

·
Premium Member
812 Posts
Make sure

alstrickland55 said:
This morning there is a big puddle of oil under my rear wheel. I wonder what the problem c:mad:uld be?
Make sure it isn't condensation. I have an unheated garage and some mornings after a cold night and a warm morning I notice a wet spot under the rear whee. It was just moisture. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAh! :bmw:

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
Reminds me of a trip to Mexico several years back.... Don't eat off the vendor carts! :p

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
alstrickland55 said:
Don't panic yet! It could be just the seal or a pinched o-ring. Mine did that about 45,000 miles ago. I walked out to the garage and THERE WAS A HUGE PUDDLE! :mad:

It was a leaky seal. No big deal. The bearing had not fragged. Hopefully, you will be as fortunate! :)

·
Cooler on the east coast!!!
1,243 Posts
I hope it is not your final drive!!!!
I know it is not good to worry but I do worry about my final drive failing :mad:
+ side it can be fixed.
Good luck

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
alstrickland55 said:
It is interesting to note that year model 2002 has one of the highest Final Drive Failure rate.

·
Registered
13 Posts
When that happened to mine it was the caged roller bearing in the final drive that had failed. The cage had come apart and pieces of it got in between the seal and the shaft allowing oil to leak out. This is an easy fix except for the final bearing preload measurements that have to be made....the measurements require a special fixture that is very expensive. Good luck.

Here is a link to a "do-it-yourself" method of bearing preload.

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=118116#poststop

1 - 11 of 11 Posts