BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may be a first. I parked in Taos, NM after doing a loop of the Enchanted Circle. Went and got something to eat and returned to the bike.
Under the rear drive was a fresh, large blot of oil. Oh no said I.
I looked under the bike and realized this was oil but not from my bike.
I breathed a sigh of relief. :D :dance:

·
Registered
166 Posts
Whew! I'm sure the ride home was quite enjoyable after that!

I occasionally look around back there to see if maybe something is getting oily, not yet, so far. 2000LT, 12k miles so sad to say I seem to have a sinking feeling. I've seen many comments about "only 4% have this failure..." but coming from an engineering/manufacturing background I can tell you that 4% on something of this magnatude is unacceptable by any quality standard used in any industry that I've ever been around or read about.

All that said, I guess we'll continue to ride 'em anyway, cause they sure are nice...

·
Registered
457 Posts
info said:
This may be a first. I parked in Taos, NM after doing a loop of the Enchanted Circle. Went and got something to eat and returned to the bike.
Under the rear drive was a fresh, large blot of oil. Oh no said I.
I looked under the bike and realized this was oil but not from my bike.
I breathed a sigh of relief. :D :dance:

I have done this as well. Only I thought the oil was coming from my bike, and it was :rotf: . But what had happened was I lost my rear shock. Seal let go and the oil had trickled down the swing arm onto the floor by the rear tire. Whew. "Was" was nice enough to send me one of his used ones until I can afford to buy a new one.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts