BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took the LT in to Open Road BMW in Newmarket for its 20,000 km service and to get a leak from the boot on the final drive checked. When they were removing the sleeve to repair the pinion seal they stripped the 4 notches in the sleeve that allows the tool to pull the drive out of the sleeve, so now they can't get it out, the dealer has sent it out to an outsource repair service. Question to those in the know, can this repair be made or am I looking at a new final drive (as I heard one service advisor mention)? or should I be insisting on a new drive thinking how the procedure could be done in the future with the notches stripped? It's an 04 and its under warranty although it doesn't really matter as it was the dealer who damaged it.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,940 Posts
The notched sleeve is a replaceable part. If they did not have the correct tool to remove it they coukd have damaged it. It should not be a problem for them to replace it. And replacement of it will not hamper the life of the drive. I would not worry about it. Stuff happens some times.

It is Item #3 in the diagram.

Attachments

·
Registered
375 Posts
The bad news

The bad news is who is going to replace it? The same guys who damaged it!
Man that sucks.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Final Drive

The part is on order from BMW Canada and it should be in so I can ride this weekend. Dealer advises it was defective from the factory and they did attempt to remove it the proper way but it was not possible due to the way it was assembled at the factory. Also they did give me a loaner car while my bike is in for repair.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,940 Posts
Sounds like they are doing the right thing and taking care of it. Hope you get it back soon.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts