BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 05 with 60K on the clock, I bought the bike last year and didn't receive any maintenance details with it. I am planning a big summer and I would like to have the final drive inspected/rebuilt. After research, I understand Saddleman is the MAN to talk to. I am new to the fourm, so I am not sure how to contact him. Any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
4,338 Posts
I have an 05 with 60K on the clock, I bought the bike last year and didn't receive any maintenance details with it. I am planning a big summer and I would like to have the final drive inspected/rebuilt. After research, I understand Saddleman is the MAN to talk to. I am new to the fourm, so I am not sure how to contact him. Any help is greatly appreciated.
To send him a message, you need 15 posts. Load this thread up with 15 posts, pics if you have them and then you can find or get directed to a thread where you can send him a message. You have 2, 13 to go

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,170 Posts
05 and up are not as prone to the classic failure as they finally figured out how to put them together. But nothing wrong with letting Dave look at it for as he is the man on rear drives.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thats good to know, Thanks to all

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
You understand correct. Saddleman is the the go to. Private message him.

·
Premium Member
7,614 Posts
05 and up are not as prone to the classic failure as they finally figured out how to put them together. But nothing wrong with letting Dave look at it for as he is the man on rear drives.
Someone forgot to tell my 07 that... It was Cutterized at about 27K.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Just ride the Big Girl and don't worry. I have a y2k with 100k on it. I changed my fluid every 12k miles. Saw 1st abnormal flakes at 90k. Saddleman done my rebuild. I have nothing but good to say about these bikes. I wouldn't pull that diff out for no reason. Just my thoughts.

·
Premium Member
7,614 Posts
I subscribe to the old saying "if it's not broke, don't fix it."
The trouble is, if the shimming is wrong it is broke, it just hasn't failed yet. :grin:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My theory is that, not knowing the first 50k maintenance that was done, it might be a good idea, especially since I planning a couple of big trips. One the first things I did was to change the fluids, and I did notice some silver on the magnet. Just looking for peace of mind. :smile:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you sir, hope to talk to you soon!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I will check the magnet on the next maintenance, if it looks good, maybe I will go that route. Thanks

Reactions: Patric

·
Registered
4,338 Posts
I will check the magnet on the next maintenance, if it looks good, maybe I will go that route. Thanks
Com'on Nate, just 3 more posts.

Reactions: milwbeemer

·
Registered
575 Posts
Have you ever thought about using a mechanics stethoscope to listen to the bearings? If you put the bike up on its center stand and put it in gear while the bike is running you might just be able to hear an irregularity in the sounds the bearings make. I use this method when I inspect some of the machines I work on in the steel industry. When the bearing cage has started to fall apart the balls don't sit where they should. This will lead to the bearing sounding a little clunky instead of the smooth sound a bit like tearing silk that a good bearing usually makes.
Just a thought and I will try this myself.

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
... did notice some silver on the magnet.
Reflective, shiny particles on the drain magnetic are symptomatic of a classic crownwheel bearing failure.
A small amount of dull, gray mud-like build up on the drain magnet can be normal, but shiny, silver particles are a bad sign.
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/k1200lt/63109-indications-impending-fd-failure.html
Much discussed in the past with many pics and posts. Searching the archives here is tedious, but you might find pics that help you understand what you saw on your drain plug.
HTH

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
Have you ever thought about using a mechanics stethoscope to listen to the bearings? If you put the bike up on its center stand and put it in gear while the bike is running you might just be able to hear an irregularity in the sounds the bearings make. I use this method when I inspect some of the machines I work on in the steel industry. When the bearing cage has started to fall apart the balls don't sit where they should. This will lead to the bearing sounding a little clunky instead of the smooth sound a bit like tearing silk that a good bearing usually makes.
Just a thought and I will try this myself.
With a decade and a half of final drive failure discussion on this board, just about everything has been discussed. It is just easy for all that information to become lost in the archives.
Mechanic stethoscope, temperature monitoring, vibration tests, etc. have all been discussed and tried by various folks.

There seems to be no subsititute for regular final drive lube changes with visual inspection of the the lube and drain plug.
Beyond that, open inspection of the drive.
HTH

·
Premium Member
7,614 Posts
With a decade and a half of final drive failure discussion on this board, just about everything has been discussed. It is just easy for all that information to become lost in the archives.
Mechanic stethoscope, temperature monitoring, vibration tests, etc. have all been discussed and tried by various folks.

There seems to be no subsititute for regular final drive lube changes with visual inspection of the the lube and drain plug.
Beyond that, open inspection of the drive.
HTH
I would say there is no substitute for an open inspection and reshimming. Then you have no need for other than regularly scheduled oil changes. :grin:

Reactions: niel_petersen
1 - 20 of 35 Posts