BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to this forum and getting ready to look at, and possibly buy a 2003 LT. I have spent today doing research before I look at the bike.

I have been happy with everything that I have read, but one item is causing me great concern. The Final Drive. In some posts and articles I get the impression that the Final Drive is a problem across all manufacturer years, while other articles/posts make it sound like just the early years (pre 2003).

Can you give me some clear insight into the probability that I will have a problem with the Final Drive? I need some quick insight as I may go look at the 2003 this coming weekend.

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
748 Posts
The final drive problems have happened across all years. Some say that approximately 4% of the final drives fail. There is no way to tell if yours is going to fail, but if the bike is on the center stand, grab the rear tire at 9:00 and 3:00 positions and see if there is play. If there is, the bearing has failed.

One of our members, CharlieVt, rebuilds them and as I understand, does an excellent job for a very reasonable amount of $$$.

All bikes have their problems. If you like the bike, and the price is good, go for it and ride it like you stole it. You'll end up loving it!!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Any idea of a ballpark figure for a rebuild by CharlieVt? If I can get an estimated dollar amount I will try to get the seller down on the price then pull the final drive and have it rebuilt so that I don't have to worry about it.

RiderRay said:
The final drive problems have happened across all years. Some say that approximately 4% of the final drives fail. There is no way to tell if yours is going to fail, but if the bike is on the center stand, grab the rear tire at 9:00 and 3:00 positions and see if there is play. If there is, the bearing has failed.

One of our members, CharlieVt, rebuilds them and as I understand, does an excellent job for a very reasonable amount of $$$.

All bikes have their problems. If you like the bike, and the price is good, go for it and ride it like you stole it. You'll end up loving it!!!

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,456 Posts
Coastie3202 said:
Any idea of a ballpark figure for a rebuild by CharlieVt? If I can get an estimated dollar amount I will try to get the seller down on the price then pull the final drive and have it rebuilt so that I don't have to worry about it.
Believe I'd ask that question to Curtis, himself. You can PM him and he'll respond. He'd probably like to know a little history of the bike you're interested in - such as mileage and general condition. Good luck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Along the same line....the current owner tells me that it has 35,000 miles and should be due for the next service. If the recommended service is everything 12,000 miles, then he is correct.

Any ballpark on how much a 12,000 miles service runs if there are no problems?

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
You can buy a DVD on how to do that.

You'll need an electronic screw driver and a few tools.

You do not have to do it all at once. I split mine into two sessions.

You'll probably need a special tool to remove the FD.

Best from Tucson
Bob

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Like you I was extremely worried about the FD failing. It almost turned into a show stopper as I had almost convinced myself to buying a new Concours because of what I had read on this forum. I'm glad I stayed with the LT not to say that the Connie isn't an awesome bike. I decided that the best thing to do to bring peace of mind to the deal I would be to just buy an extended warranty. Well....... when I went to get the bike I learned that the warranty would cover everything the plan would normally cover EXCEPT the FD. Because of the sidecar I was told. I went ahead with the purchase, sans warranty, and I'm very glad I did. I had visions of $1500 repairs but it turns out that the parts are much less expensive and there are several people on the site with the ability to do the rebuilds at a very good price.

FD failure does happen but the odds are very much in your favor that it won't happen to you. Out of 100 bikes only 4 will have a failure. I would take those odds any day. And it won't break the bank if it does happen

Good luck on the '03,

Loren

1 - 7 of 7 Posts