BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I managed to aquire, very cheaply, a final drive off a 09 with 7 miles on it. The Bike was triked. My question is what is the best way to store for future use if needed. It was dry when I got it. Should I store dry or fill with gear oil and turn the shaft once in a while or may seal the went and forget about it till needed? So what are those opinions?

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,561 Posts
I left mine empty (it had oil at one time) and two years later we filled it with oil and it went on a bike with a leaking seal to get him and his pillion back to LA from Rapid City. He was even nice enough to do the "600" mile service on it for me on the way home. I got it back empty and well broken in. If you store it full some one will have to drain it to ship it to you should you need it.

·
Premium Member
7,677 Posts
theoldone said:
I managed to aquire, very cheaply, a final drive off a 09 with 7 miles on it. The Bike was triked. My question is what is the best way to store for future use if needed. It was dry when I got it. Should I store dry or fill with gear oil and turn the shaft once in a while or may seal the went and forget about it till needed? So what are those opinions?
I would fill it to the gills with cheap motor oil. You just need something to displace the air and moisture. I would lay it down so that the fill hole is the highest point it can be and then top it off. This will prevent rust and keep the seals happy.

It does mean that you have to drain it before shipment, but that seems a small price to pay to ensure no rust on the gears or bearings.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts