BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My final drive is showing signs of a small leak. Does this mean the seal is going bad or? i am trying to sort out what needs to be done and since i havent had to deal with the final drive until now I have no clue about it or its issues (other than I do have a 2nd unit I bought off ebay to replace this one if/when it went bad). I have heard and seen here that if the FD (final drive) starts leaking and if the weep hole hasnt been drilled out it can wipe out the clutch...is this true? Is the typical FD problem the bearings and does bad bearings cuase a leak? Any help would be great thanks

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,170 Posts
A few things...
First thing: you need to be more specific as to the leak. Is there oil at the FD drain plug, at the bellow? If at the bellow, have you moved the rubber out to determine if the oil was coming from the FD or from the transmission?
Second thing: I had a FD leak while at CCR in SD but there was no failure and just having the seals replaced took care of the problem. My LT is an 05.
Third thing: The weep hole has nothing to do with a final drive leaking. It is there to let out the brake/fluid from the slave cylinder in case of a leak. This is way forward from the final drive.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts