BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I had a very unnerving ride home last Friday. The rubbing sound coming out of the rear end (see http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28440) became a very loud banging with the flat tire feeling while I was doing 55-60 mph on the expressway. As it got worse, the banging would temporarily go away and the bike rode as smooth as ever. When I hit a bump or veered the bike one way or the other, the banging would come back. I did get pretty far without any banging at one point so I decided to try to get home. I did, but I probably created more damage. The ABS sensor melted as the bolts were still attached but the cable was hanging down from where it's tie-wrapped.
I've been given the option of a rebuilt final drive or new one with a two year warranty. Both will be in the 4 figure range. She has ~38K on the clock.
What would you do?

·
Premium Member
1,882 Posts
If the 2yr warentee is only on the new - go for new
if it is on the rebuild as well dont go for it unless;
  • They are VERY specific about what will happen and who pays what, if it goes again - AND if you still get the option of a new one AND if the 2nd and consequent rebuils are garenteed for a further 2 years
  • You dont care too much about breaking down in the middle of nowhere
  • You have breakdown cover
A 2 yr warentee is fine on paper, but when you come to claim, it may not be what you think it is - get it clarified and in writing now

1 - 2 of 2 Posts