BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am thinking of updating my final drive rebuild video for the CCR 2010 Tech Session.

I have a rebuilt final drive here I could take apart and rebuild but it seems kinda silly considering I've already been through it.

So I thought I'd offer a preemptive rebuild or a repair to someone who might want it. I'd like to be reimbursed for parts and shipping which generally amounts to about $250 or less.

I'd document original preload, rebuild using both the BMW service manual technique and the method shown in my current video which was introduces to us by Dman. A spread sheet documenting preload measurements and a copy of the new video will be returned with the drive.

If anyone is interested in this, pls send me a pm.

Thanks

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,458 Posts
CharlieVT said:
I am thinking of updating my final drive rebuild video for the CCR 2010 Tech Session.

I have a rebuilt final drive here I could take apart and rebuild but it seems kinda silly considering I've already been through it.

So I thought I'd offer a preemptive rebuild or a repair to someone who might want it. I'd like to be reimbursed for parts and shipping which generally amounts to about $250 or less.

I'd document original preload, rebuild using both the BMW service manual technique and the method shown in my current video which was introduces to us by Dman. A spread sheet documenting preload measurements and a copy of the new video will be returned with the drive.

Thanks
That's another amazing offer from you, Curtis. Makes me wish I had a coupla more FDs to send ya, like the last one you did for me!! :D :D

And to think you don't get reimbursed for your valuable time and sweat!! OK, maybe those M&Ms from Max's parts department are worth it!! ;) :)

For anyone taking Curtis up on his offer, easiest thang for me wuz to clean up the o/s of the FD case with some elbow grease and WD-40; zip-wrap the pivot bearings in place; took mine to our local independent parcel express shoppe and let him pack it well (he's on the hook if damaged during transit); and slipped a paid return label in the box for Curtis to use when he's ready to ship it back to ya. Worked a treat, and really nice to find the data info for shim thickness and pre-load figures in the box.

Boy oh boy, you really believe in that 'pass it forward' mantra, Curtis!!! :thumb:

Best to ya.

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Final drive found

It seems I have found a drive, Thanks.

CharlieVT said:

Thanks

·
Registered
204 Posts
Greetings CharlieVT,

If the FD you have planned falls thru, I would love to be next in line. My FD boot caught fire this morning, so it's gonna have to come apart to replace that at least anyway. I have noticed that there is a slight amount of play at the rear wheel, so a rebuild is in my future soon, I believe. See my fire post: http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51735

I have watched your video and believe that you have hit the nail on the head with regards to repeated failures. The LT community is blessed to have you and people of your ilk going the extra mile to inform and enlighten. Thank you!

·
Premium Member
3,138 Posts
Curtis I still have this 8 mile new FD. I would love to know how close or how far a new drive for a BMW K1200 LT is off or on.

I know it seems a waste when you can do one to get or keep someone on the road. If you ever get slow enough or curious enough I would take care of it on my dime no worries. Should have hauled it up to you last year and been done with it.

Anyway as others have said I think you have defined fixing one of the nemesis of this bike, and you will be written into the FD history of the K1200 LT as we know it now.

Well deserved accolades Curtis.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
OK, this just sucks! I'm in line behind Family_fun. Going in for back surgery, and since my final drive will be off line, would've been a great time to pull the bike's too!

Curtis, keep this thread going with a post on what you find for wear and preload. I'm still on the fence for a pre-emptive build. Thanks!

·
Registered
322 Posts
If everyone else falls through, I'd like to get in line. Mine has shown a small amount of lube between the wheel and the hub when I have pulled the wheel. I'm really leaning toward a pre-emptive rebuild before next season.

I don't think I'm that far from you, I'm about 15 miles south of Max BMW in North Hampton.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Sir Charlie,
I have an 04 from an RT. I can offer this one, if you'd like.
PM me if you would like..

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,175 Posts
I see that a lot of folks have concerns about their FD. If anyone is in a bind I have a good spare FD from an 05 LT to lend while you get yours repaired. You just pay for shipping and return the drive when yours is back on your bike.

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Looking for one more drive to replace the crownwheel bearing on.

Since I started this thread I have done a couple more drives, generated some more video, and ended up with a spare new crownwheel bearing. (I ordered bearings in anticipation of final drives arriving and one gentleman sent a new bearing along with his drive, hence my spare.)

Your costs will be shipping both ways, cost of bearing and seal, shim if I don't have the required shim in inventory and need to order one, plus $25 I add for cleaning solvent and shop rags. This is generally $200-300.

So if you have a final drive off a K1200LT that has either suffered a crownwheel bearing failure or you would like a preemptive rebuild please send me a private message on the board.

·
Premium Member
2,949 Posts
CharlieVT said:

Since I started this thread I have done a couple more drives, generated some more video, and ended up with a spare new crownwheel bearing. (I ordered bearings in anticipation of final drives arriving and one gentleman sent a new bearing along with his drive, hence my spare.)

Your costs will be shipping both ways, cost of bearing and seal, shim if I don't have the required shim in inventory and need to order one, plus $25 I add for cleaning solvent and shop rags. This is generally $200-300.

So if you have a final drive off a K1200LT that has either suffered a crownwheel bearing failure or you would like a preemptive rebuild please send me a private message on the board.
PM sent

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
CharlieVT said:

GS FD available.
PM Sent.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I am a proud owner of a Curtis rebuilt final drive!! If anyone finds themselves stranded somewhere waiting on a final drive or parts, send me a PM and you can borrow this one. It is off an earlier model with the speed sensor on the top. I had purchased the unit off ebay so I didn't know it's history. I drained the oil out before sending it and didn't see any metal. Curtis sent back the bearings and seal that came out of it and looking at it with my untrained eye it looks ok. I could also send that bearing to someone that finds themselves in a pinch needing to make it a few miles home or something like that.

This is the first time in my life that I have felt the need to keep a spare anything, well not including the extra shift lever and ball, (try getting a broken shift ball out of there along side the road). Looking at the number of people here that feel that same way seems sad and has really tainted my view of BMW engineering and customer support.

Thanks again to Curtis and all he does for this community.

Dave

·
Registered
519 Posts
I am also an owner of a Curtis rebuild!!

Is boxed ready to ship to me or anyone else who needs a FD while on the road.

Looks cleaner then the one I sent in!!!

Thanks, Curtis.

Regards,
Bowdon

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
FairfaxPoker said:
Where can one purchase you latest video? Thanks.
You can't purchase it.
Amended: there is not yet a "latest video". There is an update in the works, not telling when it will be completed. The original and only one is on this server.

You can probably get it here on this site if the link still works:
Try this:
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41063
or this
http://www.bmwlt.com/uploads/lt_final_drive_rebuild.wmv

There are a few things I would change or add to in the video. The first of which is that is it not necessary to heat the cover to remove it from the drive housing.

Something you could do, if you haven't is contribute to this site. (BTW I am not part of the group of folks who maintain this board, just a supporting member like you.)
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/subscriptions.php?

·
Registered
910 Posts
OK charlie,
I'll send bucks to the site, It is a good thing all of you do out here forwarding us to keep our bikes with their peculiar needs attended to..

I'd Be proud to do that, this site has been invaluablein many ways..

One is that they dont seem to mind my weird sense of humor.. least no one said they minded :D

1 - 20 of 36 Posts