BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any sugestions to what kind of final drive oil to use other than Castrol EPX 90 that is proven to add better protection to final drive? Or should we stick to the Castrol recomended. Just turned 11000 miles and want to change the fluids for safety. What about the transmission?

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
Just stick with the BMW specs for the oil.

Best
Bob

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Redline heavy duty shock proof. Goes in red comes out red every time. Have been using it for over 100k on my 02.(218 now) No issues.

Zeke

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
Yeahhh !! Finally a question about final drive lube. :)

You can use synthetic GL if you like spending money or you can use plain old GL which will work just fine. The final drive doesn't care.
I think there is data to indicate that crankcase wear will be less over the long haul with synthetic, but that's the crankcase. The tranny might shift better with synth, but that's the tranny. A final drive might last longer with synth over the long haul, but if it's going to fail prematurely, its going to fail and your choice of lube isn't going to make any difference.

If you are concerned about FD failure, the best thing to do as far as lube is concerned is to change it every 6K miles using the same kind of lube (so you have consistency of color) and look for color change in the lube and increasing amounts of metal on the drain magnet. Using regular "dino" GL is cheaper. I regularly use Walmart Tech brand GL.

I've rebuilt quite a few failed final drives that had red colored lube in 'em, dunno who made that red lube, but some of 'em have a jelly-like material in the recesses of the drive that doesn't clean out easily in my parts washer. I don't think that red lube is any better, drives seem to fail just as well with that color.

Anyone who tells you that Brand-X is better has no data to base the claim on. (and, no, "I went 1 million [or however many] miles without a problem" doesn't consititute data. Such reports are "case reports" and have no meaningful statistical value. Kind of like: "I wear a magnetic bracelet and it cured my multiple sclerosis and my diabetes." Or "I killed and elephant with a rock, and here's the rock to prove it."

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the suggestions. I will look for synthetic Castrol 90Way for the Final Drive and Synnthetic whatever it calls for on the owner`s manual for the tranny.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
CharlieVT said:
Yeahhh !! Finally a question about final drive lube. :)

You can use synthetic GL if you like spending money or you can use plain old GL which will work just fine. The final drive doesn't care.
I think there is data to indicate that crankcase wear will be less over the long haul with synthetic, but that's the crankcase. The tranny might shift better with synth, but that's the tranny. A final drive might last longer with synth over the long haul, but if it's going to fail prematurely, its going to fail and your choice of lube isn't going to make any difference.

If you are concerned about FD failure, the best thing to do as far as lube is concerned is to change it every 6K miles using the same kind of lube (so you have consistency of color) and look for color change in the lube and increasing amounts of metal on the drain magnet. Using regular "dino" GL is cheaper. I regularly use Walmart Tech brand GL.

I've rebuilt quite a few failed final drives that had red colored lube in 'em, dunno who made that red lube, but some of 'em have a jelly-like material in the recesses of the drive that doesn't clean out easily in my parts washer. I don't think that red lube is any better, drives seem to fail just as well with that color.

Anyone who tells you that Brand-X is better has no data to base the claim on. (and, no, "I went 1 million [or however many] miles without a problem" doesn't consititute data. Such reports are "case reports" and have no meaningful statistical value. Kind of like: "I wear a magnetic bracelet and it cured my multiple sclerosis and my diabetes." Or "I killed and elephant with a rock, and here's the rock to prove it."

No claims here. just answered the question that he asked.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I've been using Valvoline Duroblend 80-90 for the last 40k in my 03 LT and 00 RT. So far all I ever see on the drain plug is what amounts to dust and not much at that. I agree with Charlie. If its rated for what its applied to its going to be OK. And because its easy to change and only 8oz I change often. If there is 2000 miles on the last change and I'm getting ready to go out on a 4k hike I'll change it out. Not much money not much time.

·
Premium Member
1,345 Posts
I switched to Royal Purple in my final drive and I hit a deer............ :confused: .........Coincidence?

·
Premium Member
7,677 Posts
rattler50 said:
I switched to Royal Purple in my final drive and I hit a deer............ :confused: .........Coincidence?
I think not! :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts