BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting ready to change the oil in the FD. Trying to decide what oil to buy. I have searched the forum and have found some different opinions so I thought I would just ask. What brand and weight does the majority use?

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
After learning about the FD problems, I spent a great deal of time and effort worrying about what oil, what weight, etc., to use. Then, after reading everything Curtis has discovered about the final drive, and talking this over with him, I quit worrying. The brand of oil very likely has nothing to do with failure. As long as it meets specs, and you change at suggested intervals, you'll be fine. That's just my opinion - how I see it.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I called Castrol and they say Syntec will not meet BMW specs but they can't tell me why. I feel its just a marketing ploy to promote the product they make for BMW. Can anyone tell me why it doesn't meet BMW specs or what the differance is in the 2.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
REDLINE heavy duty shockproof. Great stuff, goes in pink comes out pink. No issues here after 200k.
Good riding.

Zeke

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
Popeye likes Olive Oil.

I'll bet that the BMW contracts with their lubricant suppliers specifies what it says on the bottle and what the supplier can say about it publicly.

Some BMW gear lube states: "Specifically formulated and bottled for BMW". I once noted that a bottle of BMW brake fluid specified that it was: "Specifically bottled according the BMW specifications." I noted that it said "bottled" not "formulated"; I figured the the stuff was exactly the same as available under different label, but was sold at a premium by BMW in a bottle made to BMW specificatons. :histerica

I've noticed in a few FDs I've rebuilt that there was a small amount of residual jellied lube inside the housing . I didn't know what to make of it and always just cleaned out the drive really well. The jellied stuff was always kind of red or pink in color. I wondered if it was a result of combining of some BMW synth and dino, or who knows what.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Oil selection isn't going to help an overloaded bearing. Just be sure it has the right viscosity and antiwear additives of any good gear oil.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts