BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
06 rt manual says .22l i believe that works out to 220 milliliter correct? sorry for the question but just want to be sure ...Thanks.. going to attempt first oil change just need to get molly paste i was in Minneapolis recently i could have got some for $8 at a honda dealer but i thought i could get it at home here they want $25 OH Canada EH

·
Registered
127 Posts
vulch said:
06 rt manual says .22l i believe that works out to 220 milliliter correct? sorry for the question but just want to be sure ...Thanks.. going to attempt first oil change just need to get molly paste i was in Minneapolis recently i could have got some for $8 at a honda dealer but i thought i could get it at home here they want $25 OH Canada EH
180cc is the amended fluid quantity for your FD.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
vulch said:
Fill to the bottom of the filler hole and call it good.

·
Registered
296 Posts
patrick2000 said:
Fill to the bottom of the filler hole and call it good.

06 doesn't have fill hole. Need to remove speed sensor and fill through that hole. Believe the recommended volume of oil was changed to 180ml (about 6OZ.).

·
Registered
322 Posts
BALDTIRES said:
06 doesn't have fill hole. Need to remove speed sensor and fill through that hole. Believe the recommended volume of oil was changed to 180ml (about 6OZ.).
That's interesting, my 05 RT has a filling hole at the 3 o'clock position (looking from left side of the bike) but no drain hole. Was the fill hole added after the 06 model? Perhaps my FD has been changed at some point.

·
Registered
296 Posts
JonA said:
That's interesting, my 05 RT has a filling hole at the 3 o'clock position (looking from left side of the bike) but no drain hole. Was the fill hole added after the 06 model? Perhaps my FD has been changed at some point.
Now I am confused. My 07 has a drain plug but at the 3 o'clock position (looking from left side of bike) and no fill hole-Just the speed sensor. I know the 05's has the "lifetime" lube FD but now I am not sure about the 06's.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
The change from 220 ml to 180 ml was a service bulletin sometime after January 2009, when I got my bike. At one point I had a copy of it but I've lost it. Owner's manuals and the maintenance DVD prior to that service bulletin showed 220 ml. If you call the dealer they should be quoting from the latest maintenance info so the 180 is what they'll quote you. The change was presumably to reduce stress on the seal, which was a failure point.

The reduction was discussed extensively on this forum a couple of years ago, although I just tried to search and didn't have any luck.

So don't sweat it if your manual says 220 ml. That's so 2000's.

JayJay

·
Registered
262 Posts
JonA said:
That's interesting, my 05 RT has a filling hole at the 3 o'clock position (looking from left side of the bike) but no drain hole.
I have an '05 also. That is the drain plug. You have to drop the final drive to drain, then fill through the speed sensor (180ml).

·
Registered
444 Posts
TF1200RT said:
I have an '05 also. That is the drain plug. You have to drop the final drive to drain, then fill through the speed sensor (180ml).
Now that or bikes are down to 180 ml, can the fill be done through the drain and not mess with the speed sensor?

·
Premium Member
2,697 Posts
No... the drain hole is below the 180 ml mark. Fill it from the speed sensor hole... just like in the thread I posted.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts