BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bike rides as per normal.
1999 LT at 43,000 km
Changed final drive oil and this is what I got.
Transmission oil is clean.
Bike still rides normally though.
Any suggestions please ??
I'm worried.

Attachments

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,980 Posts
It's time for a rebuild on your final drive before you trash the whole assembly. :(

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
krider08 said:
Bike rides as per normal.
1999 LT at 43,000 km
Changed final drive oil and this is what I got.
Transmission oil is clean.
Bike still rides normally though.
Any suggestions please ??
I'm worried.
You have a "classic" failure of the crown wheel bearing. DO NOT ride further, you risk additional damage.
The final drive needs to be properly rebuilt; assuming there isn't damage that prevents rebuilding, in which case you need a replacement final drive.
Sorry to learn of your trouble.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Charlie VT (Curtis) has an excellent video available on how to do the rebuild. I think its posted on this site but an not sure. If not, contact him.

Rebuild looks pretty straight forward, although I have never done it!

·
Premium Member
3,108 Posts
Educate yourself before you rebuild that final drive. Otherwise you may have another failure. Chances are it was shimmed too tight at the factory. Curtis has an outstanding rebuild service available for a very reasonable price. However I suppose being in Singapore might pose some shipping/time issues.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok
Will ask around locally to see if I can get someone reliable to do it.
I believe the FD was rebuilt by the previous owner. I just got the bike in Jan 2011 and put only 1000 miles on it only.

·
Registered
260 Posts
krider08 said:
Ok
Will ask around locally to see if I can get someone reliable to do it.
I believe the FD was rebuilt by the previous owner. I just got the bike in Jan 2011 and put only 1000 miles on it only.
http://www.bmwmotorrad.com.sg/

At least it'll come with a 2 year warranty that will be honoured.

After Sales:
Telephone : 6319 0533

Customer Service Opening Hours:
Mon - Fri: 8am - 6.30pm
Sat: 8am - 12pm
Sun / PH: Closed

Parts Counter Opening Hours:
Mon - Fri: 8am - 5.30pm
Sat: 9am - 12.30pm
Sun / PH: Closed

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
krider08 said:
took out the FD. This is what we saw.
The crown bearings looked good.
That is the classic crown wheel bearing failure.

When you say that the "crown bearings looked good" you probably are referring to the tapered roller bearing at the opposite end of the crown gear assembly from the bearing you pictured.

I suggest you inspect the tapered roller bearing closely for any evidence of damage. Even discoloration of the rollers will suggest micro spallling and should be replaced if found. However, if the rollers are shiny and without any defects, and the outer race (found pressed into cover) looks good, I wouldn't hesitate to reuse the tapered roller bearing.

Other things to check for while you are in there: make sure the tapered roller bearing is not easily removed from the crowngear assembly, some lack an interference fit which leads to another kind of failure. Also check the input pinion shaft. The needle bearing race on some drives works its way off the shaft leading to another kind of failure. (I currently have a drive here that has that going on, so I'll post a pic or two to show what I am talking about).
Edited to add link: http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61159
Link to an old thread showing what can happen, scroll down to post #11:
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56309&highlight=input+bearing+failure

Also, with clean solvent flush the input pinion area while turning the pinion shaft. Residual metal bits and pieces of torn seal can be lodged up in there and you want to get it all out before you finish the rebuild.

Anyone have the link to the FD video? I assume it is still on the server but it has never had a link in the HOW or technical section that I know of. I periodically get a query for the video and have to go looking for it myself every time. The video has some errors, but the method is basically good. I was going to redo the video, but I'm phasing out final drives as my hobby and taking up bee keeping. :)

Okay, here it is:
http://www.bmwlt.com/uploads/lt_final_drive_rebuild.wmv

Funny, I can find the link quicker by googling the net faster than I can searching this site.

·
Registered
260 Posts
CharlieVT said:
That is the classic crown wheel bearing failure.

Also, with clean solvent flush the input pinion area while turning the pinion shaft. Residual metal bits and pieces of torn seal can be lodged up in there and you want to get it all out before you finish the rebuild.

No kidding... this cost my dealer a premature failure and rebuild (warranty, of course) on mine.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
.......... but I'm phasing out final drives as my hobby and taking up bee keeping.

Curtis! WTH! Say it ain't so! You're going to go from being the Duke of Bavarian Final Drives to being an apiarist?

There are a lot of us out here who were planning to use your rebuild knowledge if our drives went south. What to do, what to do......:crybaby:

Loren

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,456 Posts
wa1200lt said:
.......... but I'm phasing out final drives as my hobby and taking up bee keeping.

Curtis! WTH! Say it ain't so! You're going to go from being the Duke of Bavarian Final Drives to being an apiarist?

There are a lot of us out here who were planning to use your rebuild knowledge if our drives went south. What to do, what to do......:crybaby:

Loren
Hey, Loren - I think we need to go on the hunt for a coupla *I did/do it my way* Curtis' proteges!!

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
Dick said:
Hey, Loren - I think we need to go on the hunt for a coupla *I did/do it my way* Curtis' proteges!!
We've John Z. and Dan M. here on the site who have been most gracious and helpful to those in need.
And there are commercial outfits like Virginia Motorrad Werkstatt and Rubber Chicken Racing whom I think will do a quality job rebuilding FDs.
And if asked nicely, I don't seem to know how to refuse a request.

Any apiarists on this site? I could use a couple of packages to get my hives started.....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts