BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I have dug down as deep as the center stand in my clutch repair and something I noticed is a lot of dry grime around the final drive when I removed the wheel and brake. When the disc was pulled, there was a small oily sheen around the seal. The bad news is that I stored the bike at the local Milwaukee BMW dealer and they changed the oil in the final drive before they called to tell me about the transmission leak! So I did not see the magnetic plug or what the oil looked like. Do I need to find some one to rebuild my final drive? Who should I contact? When I joined I did not have a photo of "my" bike but here is one that I took today. Pretty, ain't she. ( I think it attached )

Attachments

·
Registered
4,255 Posts
Well I have dug down as deep as the center stand in my clutch repair and something I noticed is a lot of dry grime around the final drive when I removed the wheel and brake. When the disc was pulled, there was a small oily sheen around the seal. The bad news is that I stored the bike at the local Milwaukee BMW dealer and they changed the oil in the final drive before they called to tell me about the transmission leak! So I did not see the magnetic plug or what the oil looked like. Do I need to find some one to rebuild my final drive? Who should I contact? When I joined I did not have a photo of "my" bike but here is one that I took today. Pretty, ain't she. ( I think it attached )
Gary, the only ways to tell a FD crown bearing is bad before it self destructs is if it has metal bits on the plug, play in the wheel or to pull it apart and inspect but you would have to know what to look for if it was in the beginning stages. The seals are pretty good so if you are getting leaking around it under the disk, the bearing may be deteriorating and isn't being held in the center of rotation. Seal could just be leaking too. It may not be bad off but without someone looking at to know for sure, I would put it back on and check for play. If there is none, ride it for awhile and then check the plug again.

If you are concerned about it, Saddleman is the guy for rebuilds.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
If you need a final drive rebuilt. You want Dave(Saddleman) to do it.. He does them right.

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I pm'ed Saddleman. I discovered another leak at the input seal, not much oil there but some is to much. While flipping though the factory manual, I found a receipt from a previous owner dated 7/12/05 with a notation that the final drive was seeping. It was in for its' 24000 mile service. I bought it in 2014 with 33000 miles from a different party, looks like folks have been kickin' this one down the road for a while. Well I going to fix her and keep her, this is an amazing ride!

·
Registered
65 Posts
+1 on the Amazing Ride! I picked-up a Y2K LT last month after looking at my options for almost a year. I'm in the middle of a clutch inspection and main seal replacement. Found my Crank Case Breather had the normal failure and had to go back to the parts bin (again). I noticed some dirt and grime behind the Throttle Bodies and wasn't concerned when I bought her, now I'll set things right and ride on. I see why the re-sale values are so low. If I had to pay for the work I'm doing in my garage :surprise: Several Thousand in labor alone! Overall I'm more than impressed with the storehouse of knowledge on this site. Looking forward to miles and miles of fun. Lord Willing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts