BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've gotten a little apprehensive after reading all the posts about final drive failures. Could someone post a recommendation for preventative maintenance for non-mechanical idiots like me? Best oil to use... how often.... where ya dump it in and how ya get the old stuff out... etc.

HoW is above my head on this point.

Thanks!

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
midwilshire said:
I've gotten a little apprehensive after reading all the posts about final drive failures. Could someone post a recommendation for preventative maintenance for non-mechanical idiots like me? Best oil to use... how often.... where ya dump it in and how ya get the old stuff out... etc.

HoW is above my head on this point.

Thanks!
Changing the oil is child's play. One of the easiest maintenance items on the bike.

Take out the fill plug.
Get something to drain the oil into (about 1 pint).
Take out the drain plug.
When the oil is all drained, put the drain plug back in.
Put the required amount of oil back in. (I think it is 260 CC)
Put the fill plug back in.

Ride it.

We have pretty much determined that oil change intervals have little to no bearing on whether or not the bearing may eventually fail. Hit and miss, most do not, but some fail early.

We do suggest that you use synthetic oil though. Just get the BMW synth from your dealer.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Just a little more to add to David's reply

The only thing I might add to that is to inspect the magnet on the drain plug.
Some black sludge looking stuff is normal. Any sharp or noticeable metal bits on the magnet may be early signs of failure... This is about the only reason to change the oil with any real frequency. So that you may catch the early signs of failure on the magnet.:) Also you might spin the rear drive at that time and listen to it for any abnormal sounds.

Good Luck

John

·
Premium Member
7,797 Posts
dshealey said:
Changing the oil is child's play. One of the easiest maintenance items on the bike...
Agreed! I don't do maintenance on any of my vehicles, but when I had to change the oil in my final drive 3 times in the same day (long story, see another post on my dealer-induced rear drive failure) it was very simple to do. So simple even I can do it. :D

·
Premium Member
932 Posts
Install a magnetic final drive drain plug and inspect it carefully for metal pieces each time you drain and change the rear drive lube. Although BMW's maintenance cycle info suggests longer, I change my final drive lube (BMW synthetic) every time I change my engine oil (3,000 miles). It only takes a small amount of synthetic lube and offers the opportunity to inspect the drain plug.

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
avonfloater said:
Install a magnetic final drive drain plug ---------.
It is already a magnetic plug from the factory. Unless they changed something in later models.

·
Premium Member
932 Posts
Thanks, gents. I was given incorrect information that it wasn't. The good news is that since it IS a magnetic plug there weren't any metal pieces on it!!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Can I use the same synthetic oil in the final drive as I use in the lower unit of my hot rod boat? I believe its 90 weight...

·
Premium Member
7,797 Posts
avonfloater said:
Thanks, gents. I was given incorrect information that it wasn't. The good news is that since it IS a magnetic plug there weren't any metal pieces on it!!
I wish I had taken photos of mine when I drained/flushed it three times the same day last week. I could have made my own Etch-A-Sketch!

Hey, it just occurred to me to share a couple of photos about my recent drive problem. First photo shows all the oil, brake dust, road grunge, etc. on the wheel. Note that we are pointing to the "splash lines" of oil on the wheel. Note also that we are NOT pointing to the missing fill plug! Second photo shows the missing fill plug quite nicely. This was after I picked my jaw up off the ground.

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts